Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

pmandel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm 

For the GoPro, I am thinking of having my A&P fabricate something to attach to the vertical stab fin cap screws that would hold a mini-bicycle-handlebar horizontally. Then use GoPro's Handlebar / Seatpost / Pole Mount gizmo (image below) to hold the camera facing forward. Any issues you can foresee? I envision having it "float" either forward and above the tail fin, or directly above it, not in front of it. Really don't want to stick something to the wing, I'm paranoid about that even though others have good results. Comments invited.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:39 pm 

My A&P sleeps with my wife.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm 

This seems like a good thread to post this question:
What are owners doing about maintenance and inspection of the outer aileron bellcranks?
(Standard wing.)
Has anyone installed inspection panels?
Does anyone have any tricks besides removing the outer wings?
Or do people just ignore the bellcranks?

DW

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm 

I have been wondering the same thing about the bellcranks. Even pulling the outer wing panel doesn’t offer a very good view of mine. I have an inspection panel in my left wing but that is only because I put a pitot tube in the same bay.

On the GoPro... some people get away with external mounting the cameras but some don’t. I cannot justify the expense of replacing a camera if I was to lose it nor do I have any desire to explain to the feds why my camera was so poorly mounted that it fell off the airplane and got reported for some reason.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

On the bell crank question ... a lot of guys have inspection panels under the bell crank, some have serviceable bearings, others remove the gap cover and use a mirror and a gooped up finger with grease to service/inspect that area.

On the GoPro side of things ... I'm on the 'don't risk the camera flying off' team but if you must install outside of the cabin why not just put a screw through a standard GoPro mount (ones w the sticker on the back) the proposed design seems like a bit of overkill to me.

And yes .. to Bob's point .. these are Homebuilt/Experimental aircraft .. the only thing a non builder can do is sign off a condition inspection ... Phil .. why pay an A&P to do this stuff?

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

jtwigg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:48 pm 

2. Jack. I found that I prefer to jack the plane where the A-frame attaches to the lower firewall. I felt that I didn't have a good, safe jack location down at the wheel. I found a scissor jack that came with an old Jeep with a V-notch at the lifting pad that fits the gear perfectly. I still use a couple layers of rubber padding so I don't mar or scratch the metal. The advantage for me is that it keeps the entire lower gear/axle/brake assembly unobstructed while working.

5. I put a G-meter in my plane with a hole punch. I think it's the way to go. Super-easy even if the panel is installed, and no shavings flying around.

6. Camera Mount. My belly mount broke on my first flight. It was one of the plastic mounts that had an adhesive pad. One of the two side flanges broke. Lost the camera, of course, but it was one of the cheapo units from CrazedPilot.com and not a GoPro. $99 I think.

Attachments:
File comment: Jacking method
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 132 times ]
File comment: Broken belly camera Mount
IMG_7842.jpg
IMG_7842.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 132 times ]