Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

SHIPCHIEF
 Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Belly
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:14 pm 

I can’t see the complete part number, it would lead you to the port size and thread.
Knowing if it is tapered or straight thread determines the fitting you should buy.
If tapered (NPT) use a pipe-to-AN nipple. Upgrade to hose; Put a hose end elbow on top of the nipple the B nut will let you clock the fitting.

jrevens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
None of the fittings in your link has the shoulder for riding in a bulkhead but the one on his pump does. Someone may have tried to convert a bulkhead fitting to work by cutting off the flare and/or installing an o-ring but that shoulder says bulkhead.
[/quote][/quote]

Right... so probably what he should have, unless the pump has a tapered pipe thread, is one of the o-ring fittings shown in my link, regardless of what is there now.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:18 pm 

It must be a straight thread to accept the bulkhead fitting so using John's recommendation would work great. I would bet the bulkhead fitting was used to reach the hard line coming to it since it is longer than a standard elbow. If a proper sized o-ring was used in the gap between the threads for the flared fitting and the threads for the jam nut, it may seal well enough to to keep using. It would take a fat o-ring. If it was mine I would use the proper fitting and make the fuel line to fit (either aluminum or hose). In fact, that is exactly what I did with mine when I redid my fuel system.

Of course this all hinges on the assumption it is the fitting leaking at the pump and not the flare on the tube dripping down on everything else. Cleaning off the blue dye may help locate any more leaks. Carb cleaner works great if you aren't concerned about any paint in the area.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm 

Mark the area with chalk, the fuel leak should be easy to find.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 am 

I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet but a tip I stumbled across in another forum suggested using athlete’s foot spray because it is a white powder that sticks to what is being sprayed to locate oil leaks. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work for fuel too. Especially if the fuel doesn’t have blue dye in it.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

DrDrift
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 am 

Jeff J wrote:
This is off topic but if someone brought me that airplane to inspect, I would bust the turnbuckles.

Thanks all for these suggestions, and in particular, the links to part numbers. That helps quite a bit.

I've been on travel so I haven't been able to get back to resolving this issue. More travel this week and next, so it will need to wait a bit longer.

Jeff, thanks for your insight on the turnbuckles. Sure it's not related to the fuel leak, but it's very helpful to have support identifying issues that I simply have not noticed. I'm a new aircraft owner and there are a lot of details in the system, so you pointing out the turnbuckle issue is great.