Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

bcabebe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 am 

From the topic/thread "Items to check on a pre-buy", Lee mentioned "... preferable to drill the hole in the bottom of the machined stick socket for the wire routing."

Does anyone have any details on where this hole is to be drilled? Out the bottom or front? Size of hole, 1/4"? Any drawings or pictures?

I'd like to re-wire my PTT switches and I'd rather not enlarge the current hole in the stick. I think the wire would route nicer if it came out the stick socket somewhere.

Thanks,
Brian

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 am 

Mike switch belongs on the throttle.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Bob, you are forgetting that standard equipment is a twist knob in the center of the panel. I'm like you PPT on the quadrant and coolie for trim on the stick, maybe AP kill switch too. I have a 3/16" hole on the front side of the socket just below the bolt holding the stick.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:42 pm 

I didn't forget; just that knobs in middle of the panel ain't my style.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 pm 

I went with the Infinity Stick Grip . It has the most options to control stuff . I agree if I had the option I would put the throttle on the left side of the fus. with the PTT, Flaps , Speed brake ,etc. ! Infinity gives me the option for PTT, Freq. flip flop , Coolie hat trim , AP disconnect , electric flap control (when installed) and a spare switch for future installs . Made in the USA and local here in San Diego . ;) Could not post the site as it was listed as a possible "attack site ?"

RB O:-)

Higher and Faster

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 pm 

I think N711SH probably has hidden hard points and a pickle button on the stick.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 pm 

I know I can sleep better at nite knowing that N711SH has hard points (with undisclosed weapons) and a pickle switch ! Fraser...you are just outside of SLC by the Women's Prison ? I will send Bob your Lat/Long .

Black OPS

Profile Personal album  

bcabebe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 am 

Bob, thanks for making me think about this some more. I was going to reply with some snarky comment and ask how I was supposed to mount a PTT switch on a 1/4" rod because, like Bill said, my push-pull throttle is mounted in the bottom center of my panel. After thinking about it a bit, I'm going to see if there's another place to put a PTT switch that's not on my stick or throttle.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 pm 

Bob, I love you, and your flying experience is way beyond mine, but I have to respectfully disagree. Brian - Bob's big-time ex-military, & he's used to & prefers having the stick in his right hand, hence he has mounted a throttle quadrant on the left. Most military aircraft have more buttons on the stick than you can count... a forest of switches. Most of those have some pretty important functions, like protecting yourself, and it makes sense to move one that's not directly related to controlling the airplane or killing your enemy to another place less crowded. It also gives the left hand more than one thing to do. There's a good reason that the vast majority of civilian aircraft with control sticks have push-to-talk there. It's extremely convenient and rather intuitive if you haven't been trained from the get-go otherwise. That's my take anyway. I could be way off base... if so, let the beat-down begin!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

bcabebe
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

John, I understood why Bob said what he said. It just got me to thinking about a landing recently where I just touched down, everything was going great (straight and stable) and then tower said to take the next taxiway to the right. When I went to press the PTT to reply, I started moving off of centerline and I had to re-concentrate to keep it from getting out of hand. I don't know if it was the PTT on the stick and moving my hand to press the button caused different pressure on the stick, or if someone speaking in my ear threw off my concentration at that point. I'm rather new to airplanes with sticks, and taildraggers, and most of my time is in airplanes with yokes. In the air it doesn't seem to affect my flying when I press the button on the stick. In any case, I'll probably keep the PTT on the stick for now but look at alternatives that work in my aircraft.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

Not sure why you would want to move the PTT from the stick to another location ? ??? Moving it to another location would mean you have to take your hand off the throttle or the stick to activate ? :( Unless you are "Bob the Throttle Guy !" If your PTT talk is on top of the stick you can get another grip that has a "Trigger" type switch . ;)

Higher and Faster

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:59 pm 

Rich is right, Brian. If pushing a button on the top of the stick causes you to move your feet, just think what reaching for a button somewhere else (& taking your hand off the throttle, which isn't good) would do. Now if you have a switch on the throttle like Bob it's a whole different story, & to each his own. The stick is a good place for push-to-talk. Remember the old days when we had a hand held mic with push-to-talk on the side? BEEP!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:46 pm 

PA-28-140 when I got my PPL in 1972 . Overhead speakers and a push to talk mike that you had to pick up ever time you wanted to talk and heaven forbid you draped the mike and cord over the yolk with a CFI ! :o Same sort of thing having to take one hand off the throttle to use the mike . ???

RB C:-)

Faster and Higher

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

My two cents ..

Put the ptt wherever you want ... 90+% of us have it on the stick, i like it there. Never heard of pushing a ptt on the stick causing potential loss of control on the runway before. If thats a concern follow the golden rule and fly the airplane first, get slowed down then respond.

I'm afraid this whole conversation started as a reaction to a simple inspection item for thorp owners/ buyers. There's nothing wrong with a small hole for a ptt at the base of the stick. Just make sure it's not oversized, too low and or showing signs of fatigue.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

bcabebe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:34 pm 

John and Lee, point taken about hands and feet interaction. I'm the first to admit I'm not that experienced a pilot and still need a bit of practice to be smooth.

I agree this has gotten a bit off topic, not that I helped keep it on topic. I was just trying to make sure I don't compromise the control structure with a hole. I want to put a hole in the stick socket, not the stick itself. Maybe I need to draw a picture. I guess it's the engineer in me that is looking for a precise example. What does "small" mean exactly?

Profile Personal album