Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 pm 

Anyone have a template of the panel in a CAD program that they could email me? I am a glutton for punishment and I am wanting to start redesigning my 4th panel, but I have misplaced my paper template.

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am 

Ryan I have this in CAD it is based on the standard T18 508 drawing. I haven't doubly checked it but think it is pretty close. Not sure if this would be of help to you.
I have been meaning to ask how the dimensions of the panel might change ( if at all ) when the panel is shifted further back.

Attachments:
508 panel v5.pdf [66.1 KiB]
Downloaded 653 times

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 pm 

thanks stug. if I print that at full scale, will it be the correct dimensions?

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm 

Once you have it make a full size cardboard template . Easy to adjust . I made several full size blank paper templates a KINKOS . I spent several weeks moving the instruments around on the paper , adjusting the spacing , etc. Once I had an idea ,I transferred it to the cardboard and put it in the AC . It gave me a good idea as to scan , how far I had to reach a radio , transponder , etc. If I didn't like it I could use another paper template and repeat the process . Bada Bing , Bada Boom !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 pm 

I had one in cardboard just like you're talking about Rich.....and now I cant find it. I would not have thrown that out, but I guess it got mixed in with the trash on a cleaning day somehow.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 pm 

You , me and others after a long day building and in the process of trying to keep the shop/hangar clean have swept , pushed , thrown out trash and given away all sorts of items ! :o To this day I have tools , parts and $100 bills that I can not account for ! ??? All probably in the Miramar Land Fill ! :'( Look under your bed for that cardboard template ! :-* BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm 

Ryan this version should print out at full scale OK I have included some dimensions to allow easier checking.
You will need to find the correct US paper size since I have defaulted it to A0 iso. If you'd prefer the CAD version I can get that to you.

@ Rich just wondering if you moved your panel back from the standard location.
I haven't yet got a plane to sit in and check for reach distances so can't check for myself if the instrument layout is going to be affected much by a fwd-aft shift in the panel.
I'm thinking that the left to right reach distances are of more concern but that assumes the standard panel location a good reach distance to start with.

Attachments:
508 Dash full size.pdf [66.75 KiB]
Downloaded 587 times

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm 

I was able to move my panel back . It's been a few years and I can't remember how much , but installing the new light weight radio and transponder (Micro Air) made a considerable difference compared to the old and heavy (and long !) black boxes that are still around . There are write ups in the old NL's where folks had to "notch" out the fuel tank to fit in the radios ! Others just angled the old radios down to gain enough clearance and from the pics they appear to almost sit on top of your knees ! I went out and measured the dash (the AC is at home in the driveway for it's second annual) and from the top edge of the bulkhead behind the seats to the middle of the dash I measured 32 1/2" . ??? If you keep the radios, etc. close to the center of the dash then reach will not be a problem Not sure if this helps ? :-\
Attachment:
DSCF0092.JPG
DSCF0092.JPG [ 920.37 KiB | Viewed 12078 times ]

The panel is for the S-18 (wider) , but the bend at the bottom just above the power panel and the "rounded" bottom edge are per the plans . I really like the rounded bottom edge as it could save my knee caps ! :D BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm 

Hi Rich,

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the gizmo above your fuel gauge?

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

thanks stug. I'll give this one a try and get back with you if I need the CAD version.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:38 pm 

It's a Farfennugen hand hold . I have folks hold onto it when I tell them I am a retired Navy Pilot ! 8) It makes them feel safe and secure . I Imported it from a small town just outside Salt Lake City . No...it's the mount for my IFly700 GPS and just to the left is the jack for GPS 12 volt power and GPS input for the AP and now the Tru Trak Gemini PFD. I have since upgraded the panel to include the Flight Data FC-10 fuel flow computer (works 4.0 !) , the Flight Data GT-50 with OAT probe and removed a Commie Electric ADI and replaced it with a Tru Trak Gemini PFD (also works 4.0) . I plan to submit a write up for the next issue of TT concerning all the above upgrades. :o I am tired of upgrades ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:10 pm 

Hey Rich.
Where is the big red panic button! ;D

C-FPVE #091

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm 

Under the co-pilots seat where they can't reach it ! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

stug
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm 

Re the rounded bottom edge of the dash, seems like a very sensible move, but as an alternative how would an angle extrusion riveted to the bottom of the panel work, not as elegant of course but if would partly achieve the same aim and also provide the basis for a hinged arrangement?

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:08 pm 

It's what you feel comfortable with . I like the rounded edge and I found a young man at a HVAC company that liked airplanes and he put the panel on his HUGE press and made the curve along with the "bend." He charged me nothing ! I gave him $20.00 to buy a hamburger . I think as long as you don't have a "knife" edge at the bottom of the panel you should be OK ? Put what makes you happy . When he made the curve I did have to sand out the press marks . Not a big deal . Powder coating the panel was another good investment . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album