Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: I Fly 700 Gps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:23 pm 

I Fly 700 GPS on E-Bay. Starting bid $275.00, buy it now for $375.00. A good deal ! I have the unit and me very pleased with it. Very easy to use...even for a Navy pilot !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Re: I Fly 700 Gps
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:02 am 

Rich
whats your experience with being able to see the screen in various sunlight situations?
Ryan

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:38 am 

Ryan: I have had no real problems viewing the screen. If direct sunlight is allow to hit the screen there is some washout, but I think that is true with any of the GPS units. I bought the little velcro "sun shade" that fits over the unit to help block the sun and that seems to work. If you go to the I Fly 700 web site you can read the write ups for the unit and take a demo of the unit.

I am VERY happy with the unit. Touch Screen, $69 a year chart updates (including airport diagrams) with free unit software upgrades. VERY easy to use and customer support is great. The only downside is the unit does not have a built in battery. You can buy a small portable battery packs that lasts 3-4 hours ( I bought one just in case I have to shut down ships power. ) I hard wired it (12 volts and AP input) to my panel thru a Din plug on the dash. It also comes with a cig plug that you can use ( I also have a cig plug in my dash ).

RB

Profile Personal album  

copterplt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 pm 

Just an up date on the I FLY GPS, I contacted the staff at their HQ and asked if they had terrain alerts. They are working on that as well as some other up grades that should come out in the next few months. I suspect that there trying to have those done by AIR VENTURE. Since I now use the lowrance 2000c and they have stopped supporting it I'm looking for a new unit but it must have terrain alerts as mother earth has too many lumps on the West coast and i've found out over the years that one can bump into her if there not alerted. paul

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:29 pm 

The I Fly uses actual Sectional and TCA charts. Just stay away from the Big Brown Lumps ! Cucamonga peak, Mt. Palomar, etc.

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:13 pm 

Hi Paul, there are updates avail still for the 2000c, check out the verbage on vans forum. I did find the support on a couple other sites but they have eluded me. From what I can gather it takes a bit to get the updates but they can be had. The 2000c with terrain awareness has a huge following, guess I will run mine till it quits. Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 pm 

Just as we finished our discussion about the current IFly700 GPS (the one I have), I just got an update from IFly Corporate (they send me newsletter updates). They now have a "newer version" of the unit which is more sunlight readable and has a more sensitive touch screen, plus a faster processor...what a shock that is ! "We can rebuild him...make him faster and stronger. Remember the $6 million dollar man ! I no faster get off the throne and they have a better and faster unit ! :'( The newer unit is $200 more and you can trade in your "old" 700 unit for a credit. Hell ! I was just getting use to "old" unit ! :o No way to keep up with all the "new" stuff and still have a full wallet ! Saving all my change for the next KVIS fly in ! ^-^

RB

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 pm 

Does anyone have experience with running a GPS antenna alongside shielded P-Leads? Intuitively, it doesn't seem like a good idea, but it would be really convenient for me. I've got an iFly700. It would be nice to run both through a conduit I installed over the tank.

Opinions?

D

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:17 pm 

Dick : Not sure why you need a GPS antenna for the 700 ? ??? I had the 700 and upgraded to the 720 and have never needed an antenna . ;) If I were to use an antenna for the 700 I would put it on the glare shield , suction cup on the windscreen or attach it to the aft deck .

RB O:-)

Higher and Faster

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:36 am 

I have Rich's old IFLY 700. No antenna and it works every time. Just give it power. I have it sitting on my panel right above my throttle/mixture.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 am 

Rich....what in the arsa is a TCA?....?....:)

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:20 pm 

I have the 720 and it works flawlessly.t is bright enought to see in the direct sun light. The updates arw cheap and easy to install. No need for the external antenna.

Jim Mantyla