Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

copterplt
 Post subject: Re: Wing Tips
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:56 pm 

As someone mentioned I made a set of the Hoerner wing tips and they looked great and added 7/8 kts as test flown along side another Thorp with whom I had flown many times. We had flown side by side at 2350 RPM for many flights and when I flew my Thorp along side his after installing the tips I was able to keep pace at 2300 RPM and pull away Quite good at 2350. We were thinking by 7/8 kts. Also seemed to have more lateral stability as well as a bit slower stall ETC.
Frankly speaking, when you see all these aircraft on the airfield with modified wing tips that go back 20 plus years, theres got to be a reason for that ???????
Before it broke I had a Aymer Demuth 68/75 prop on my 150 hp o-320 and the plane went like hell, because with the dual electronic ignition and 34 dg of advance i was able to turn a prop that big.
I have a copy of the John Evens plans which are from 2003, wish I had seen them early on. If any one wants a copy I'll try to copy and send It via E mail and if unable will mail it out. This is a great project with positive results. I think that it would be much simpler to modify a set from CUBES who has them in stock.

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:35 am 

You really can’t make them for what Cubes is asking. Any fibreglass I’ve seen from Thorp Central has been top notch quality.

Profile Personal album  

speedbird1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:33 pm 

If anyone wants to save some time I have a pair of the standard rounded wingtips that I removed for the Hoerner type. No damage and no lights but they have the buried antennas. $250 the pair. They are from a folding Sunderland wing with wing fuel.
Speedbird 1.