Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Savalas
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm 

Hello, my insurance would like me to get transition training from a CFI with at least 25hrs in the t18. If you know of anyone in the southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois region that may qualify then please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

stanmarkus
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am 

I own a T18 based at KUES, love it, fly it all the time. I am not a CFI. I am looking around right now.
Cell 414-588-1438
Stan Markus

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am 

I think there used to be a CFI with Thorp experience at KENW. I was trying to get a chance to fly with someone there when I bought mine. It didn’t pan out for me but there was at least one other Thorp on the field.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

pmandel
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:08 am 

I realize it's not ideal, but I may be willing to fly commercially from PDX to you. Email me if interested so we can discuss: phmand -at- gmail. Please email as opposed to responding here, easier to communicate that way. Philip Mandel, CFI-I, MEI, AGI, IGI, currently flying my third T-18 N118BC built by Bill Cordoza and rebuilt by Lee Walton.

Beaverton OR

Savalas
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:29 pm 

Status update:
The insurance quote was through AOPA and the quote I received required me to find an instructor with 25hrs in type and if I could not find anybody then find somebody suitable and fill out a form to submit to the underwriters for approval.

The flight instructor that I felt was well qualified for the transition training gave me the broker he uses who has all his info on file.
Not only was my flight instructor approved for the policy (add on to the policy) but the yearly savings appears to be around $500 for the year with nearly identical coverage with the only difference that nobody else is allowed to fly this aircraft except the noted instructor and myself. Hopefully the scheduling works out.

Savalas
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:34 pm 

Thank You Pmandel, I will let you know if things don't pan out.

Andy475
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm 

Sometimes “like-type” will work too. I used a buddy who had 300 hours in Pitts and a bunch of RV time and the insurance folks gave him the Ok both as the instructor and on the policy.

-Andy

Savalas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 am 

Play by play..... The instructor I had lined up here does not appear to be working out after all. Luckily I have some time since i am in the midst of tailwheel training. Stay tuned for those who are watching.