Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 pm 

Jim Mantyla wrote:
Guys,

You should be aware that zip ties have calcium carbonate (ground up marble) in them as a flow enhancer. They will cause wear grooves in metal parts if they are allowed to move with vibration. If they need to go on an engine mount tube, use a piece of hose over the tube first and then the zip tie on that.

Regards,

Jim

Just as a matter of conversation, I don't think this is fully accurate. The principal reason that wear can occur with good quality wire ties that have been installed or become a little loose is dirt, or most specifically silica (sand) in the air/environment. There are many materials that can be added to nylon to modify properties, but I don't believe calcium carbonate is one that would be commonly used or found in the material used in high quality ties and then would somehow be a factor in its abrasive qualities. I'm a fan of wire ties and have used them extensively in the airplanes I built, specifically Thomas & Betts "Ty-Rap". They have an unlimited tensioning range due to the small embedded stainless steel tab in the design. This makes it a little easier to get just the right amount of tension when installing. They're more expensive than many other brands, but worth it to me. Their common MX series are made of Nylon 6/6 and are good for use up to 185 deg. F. I use the UV/weather resistant black ones, all over the airplane, including the engine compartment, and never experienced any kind of failure or problem in the 28 years that I owned the T-18 that I built. They are also available in many different configurations and types including Nylon 6/6 that is heat stabilized and good to 221 deg. (or even 302 deg. with the TYHT series). Like Bob said, lacing is a PITA and makes the job of cleanly adding wires to a bundle much harder. I believe absolutely in protecting tubing or other structure, sometimes including the wire bundle itself with something like Jim suggests. I like to use a thin layer of clear, abrasion resistant polyurethane tape. If you buy common, cheap wire ties made in China or somewhere else, who knows what they might have in them.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:49 pm 

I have to tell on myself a little bit. I have been rewiring my flying T18 for a few days now. I started out at the tail of the airplane and have worked my way up to the panel. Everything aft of the panel got pretty little lacing cord. I love it, and it looks wonderful (of course there are only about 8 wires that run from my tail to the panel). But when I started in on that panel, with all those wires, and reaching down under the fuel tank with my arms stretched out in front of me and bent over while holding a bundle of wires. No way could I make those pretty knots with that lacing cord while doing all that! I am back with zip tie camp! And my back hurts!

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:39 pm 

Re: wire ties vs lacing - I had a great tour of the new Pilatus completion facility at my home field, KBJC, today. They also do a lot of military work, but right now there wasn't any classified stuff going on so we got a good tour. They had several models being completed - avionics, interiors, etc. in various stages of completion. One of their PC24 jets had some panels open and wiring was visible. I found it interesting that they don't use any waxed lacing cord on wire bundles - just my favorite T&B brand wire ties. This is an $11.4 million airplane.

Attachment:
IMG_1411.jpg
IMG_1411.jpg [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 6185 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1413.jpg
IMG_1413.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 6185 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1414.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 6185 times ]

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

pacer18a
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am 

John is that silicone rescue tape under some of those wire ties?

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:57 pm 

well, that's interesting, thanks John. I guess if Pilatus can do, so can I.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:32 pm 

pacer18a wrote:
John is that silicone rescue tape under some of those wire ties?

I forgot to ask, but I believe it is. They seem to use that whenever the bundle is going to touch & be attached to a bracket, or the cool little extensions that are attached to sockets, etc. for strain relief. If ties are just used on the wire bundle alone, it doesn't seem to be used.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Andy475
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 am 

Most hobby shops carry nice flush cutters for injection molded kits that will last. I have a set my grandmother got me when I was 7 and I still use them daily around the shop on zip ties. the first rule I was taught working on airplanes is that all zip ties must be flush clipped and safety wire pig-tailed. Deviations from this rule were considered sins against humanity.

-Andy

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:27 pm 

Harbor Freight sells an outstanding flush cutter for around $3. The jaws don’t hold up to much more than wire ties but they are cheap enough I keep 3 or 4 pair around.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am 

So its getting close to time to install my fuel tank, so I need to address this issue. The tank support bracket is cracked (see photo). The photo is taken as if you were laying on your back on the ground and looking up. Any suggestions to salvage the existing bracket, or should I remove it and reinstall a new one?

Attachment:
File comment: Tank Support Bracket
Tank support bracket.jpeg
Tank support bracket.jpeg [ 341.13 KiB | Viewed 5866 times ]

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm 

Make a strip out of .040 and rivet it on the back side. If you want to get fancy make a doubler.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:13 pm 

Wonderful! Thanks Bob.

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:08 am 

What is the preferred gascolator and bracket that everyone is using, or if there are some to stay away from. I am leaning towards using this bracket, and cutting it as necessary to fit the Usher gascolator. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachment:
Bracket.jpg
Bracket.jpg [ 101.07 KiB | Viewed 5797 times ]

Attachment:
Gascolator.jpg
Gascolator.jpg [ 21.81 KiB | Viewed 5797 times ]

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:11 am 

You can make anything work, but that bracket is designed to use a bale that goes under the gascolator to hold it up. I don’t have a lot of experience with the Usher one. Don’t they have a bracket?

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am 

From the looks of it, all you need is a piece of angle to bolt it to. I’ll send you some if you need it.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm 

Yes, I think you're right about mounting it, I can figure that out I think. For some reason Im feeling some hesitation about which gascolator to use. I guess if there are no bad reviews, I'll use the Usher.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next