Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Andy475
 Post subject: Panel Upgrades ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am 

My 30 year old Narco's are starting to go one by one, first (predictably), it was the 122, now its the transponder, and I'm sure the 125 is waiting its turn. I was looking into possible upgrades and I'm tempted to go with a MGL v16/N16 Comm/Nav or a gamin Comm paired with the N16. Anyone have any experience with these MGL radios? Good/bad/otherwise? I was also planning on adding a GRT mini as an HSI head allowing for a backup ADI display should I lose vacuum. The intent is to set up a redundent but baisc (/U) IFR capability to penetrate overcast layers while travelling. Open to other ideas.

-Andy
N78WG

SHIPCHIEF
 Post subject: Re: Panel Upgrades ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm 

I also have Narco, in my case a com-810 and an AT-150 transponder. Both still work great.
I recently upgraded another plane from a (failing) Terra suit to Garmin GTR200 and GTX327. I had previously installed a Dynon D-10a EFIS. I had not been using the Nav/ILS or ADF....Foreflight on an iPad, and an old Garmin 295 color GPS are easier...but I don't fly IFR.
The newer transponders take serial code for barometric altitude, so a Grand Rapids, Dynon or MGL EFIS will provide this, you can remove the old altitude encoder. (sweet!)
Also, the GTR-200 has a built in VOX intercom and music input. The newest ones (GTR-200B, Q1 2019 release) have Bluetooth and can handle cellphone calls!
Feisty, my T-18 has been upgraded to a Dynon D-10a and the vacuum system removed. Several pounds of vacuum pump, plumbing, regulator, filter etc removed along with instruments and gauges.
I also use a 7" Android tablet with Avare because it's a free Electronic Flight Book and these iPads and Tablets are easily moved/upgraded compared to the cost of built-in avionics.

You will love it and never look back.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm 

whatever you choose, you will not regret the glass! I would yank all the vacuum plumbing. That's what I did and I haven't missed it one bit.

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

This is the panel for N218TH. It's got a Grand Rapids Sport EX7 for the main display. Comm is a Garmin GTR-200- I like the built in 2 place intercom as well as the ability to listen to the monitor freq. I've wired my Infinity Stick to toggle between the active and monitor freq. Transponder is a Garmin GTX-327 that's tied into an Echo UAT for ADSb. Another button on the stick provides the 'ident' feature. I have an iPad Mini 4 with a Pivot mount running foreflight for current charts. Behind the panel there is a 3 amp backup battery that will feed the Sport EX 7 that only draws an amp an hour. More than enough to get this VFR bird on the ground should the B&C alternator stop working. Main power is provided by an EarthX Lithium Iron battery.

There's also a Grand Rapids EIS-4000 for EGT, CHT and other inputs that also feed into the Sport EX7.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm 

I decided to go with an all electric panel (except for pitot static gauges) when I was starting my panel . Back in 2009 glass was out of my price range . :o Not to mention the fact that every 6 months a "new" electronic gadget hit the streets ! :P Impossible to keep up with . :D The only glass item I ended up with a few years later was the TruTrak Gemini PFD with heading , bank , speed and altitude tape . O:-) The radios and transponder are Microair and weigh less than a pound each ! I just like "round" gauges !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

campipilot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:58 pm 

I’m considering a garmin G5. They sound pretty sweet. Also think I will install an in panel mini iPad mount for foreflight. A fan can be attached for cooling as well as it can be hooked to electrical system for charging.
I have a narco 12d navcom wilth ILS. Will be needing a transponder and ADSB, and autopilot which the G5 can interface with. I would like a GPS too that could be used IFR. But price may be prohibitive there except maybe an old 250 or 300xl? But I think those aren’t supported anymore.
That Garmin comm sounds nice for a second comm and built in intercom and Bluetooth.

These are preliminary ideas.

Suggestions very welcomed!!!!

Curtis

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm 

First, the Tigress has been IFR for about 5 years. I’ve flown IFR exactly twice. She is no longer IFR.
Second, you really cannot fly IFR efficiently without an FMS. That requires the right piece of glass. I tried it with a Garmin GPS Pilot 3. No workie.
Third, I would not recommend flying IFR without an autopilot. Especially after what you are used to with our day job.
I still don’t really fly night VFR in the mountains, even though I have a digital terrain database. Maybe I’m too conservative.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Andy475
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:23 am 

The intent is not to fly into heavy, low IMC. I personally think IFR down to mins without a second engine or silk is asking for trouble. The idea is to have the capability to depart and/or recover through a 1500' or better overcast layer. The day job doesn't offer a FMS, FD, or autopilot for all the IFR we fly in so I am comfortable without it but understand the limitation it creates.

After laying out a mock panel and pricing everything else out, I think i will definately be going the GRT EX, MGL nav radio, Garmin GTR-200, and the Uavionics Echouat. It should come out to around $6500 or so. This will allow me to gain the capability with minimal expense while retaining a redundant system. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

-Andy

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:11 pm 

How I long for the good ole days ! INS/Omega/ADF !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm 

Feisty gets panel upgrades from leftovers.
I'm installing an Electronics International FP-5L fuel computer (first pic)
And a MGL TC-1, 4 channel EGT in the second.
These require 'instrument power', but the 10 amp breaker for Instrument Power already has 4 ring terminals under the screw, so I pulled the panel a few inches to see about adding a terminal strip to deal with it.

Last edited by SHIPCHIEF on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm 

While I was in there I took out the Trans Cal altitude encoder and tried to clean up some of the 1984 wiring (plus overlays from all of us owners thereafter).
I got out the sub-D box and made up new connectors from Dynon D-10a to serial -grey code converter and then to Narco transponder. Also from Garmin 295 to D-10a for navigation and winds aloft. EGT wires were transferred from the old meter and selector switch to the MGL TC-1, which requires Instrument power. Pulled wires for the EI FP-5L to the fuel flow transducer and also Instrument power.
Everywhere I look, there are extra bits of hose, wire and obsolete stuff that gets removed to reduce weight.
Feisty is well built, I don't find any structural problems and the old wiring is still quite good, considering the mess any wiring job turns into over time and modification.

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:05 am 

Here is ’The Look’ for 2019!
The Electronics International FP-5L fuel computer is to the left of the Dynon D-10A EFIS, the MGL TC-1 four channel EGT is above the radio stack, to the right of the manifold pressure gauge, and the new USB 2.1 amp receptacle is the the far right beneath the circuit breaker panel.
Loose wires by the Garmin 295 GPS are waiting on the special Garmin plug/cord for ship's power and serial data out to the Dynon D-10A.
Much neatening, cleaning and installing of covers yet to do...
There is a space heater visible in the pilot's foot well. It is heating the Proseal on the fuel tank / auxiliary fill fitting. The temp in the hangar is about 40f.