Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

DrParachute
 Post subject: New Owner!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am 

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I just got my Thorp home yesterday. After hearing about the Thorp from Mujahid (DrDrift), I couldn't help but do the deep internet dive. Finally, a low-cost yet fast aircraft! However, in order to make the plane tractable, I really needed to have 4 seats (wife and 4 year old). Therefore, I am the new owner James Roberts' 4 seater, 249R.

After an exciting journey from Tampa to Kansas City (parked at Lees Summit KLXT), the plane is finally home (although in need of a little TLC before more cross country flights).

I look forward to learning from all of you, and excited to be a member of the Thorp community (even if I have the odd-ball plane!).

Thanks!
Travis

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: New Owner!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 am 

Welcome to the fold ! You should have plenty of time to get your AC ready for the Sedona 2019 Fly In ! ::) Info on Sedona to be posted in the next month or so . You will not be disappointed . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:22 am 

Awesome. That is truly an unusual bird. I flew her back in the 90s, if it is the same one.
Question, do you have Jim Roberts drawings?
Let us here at Thorp Central know if you need anything.
Cubes
702 232-4261

Profile Personal album  

DrParachute
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pm 

Thanks Rich, I look forward to it!

Thanks Cubes, I do have the original plans (as well as every T-18 newsletter I think). Thanks for the early advice/discussion, and I imagine I will be reaching out as I get deeper in.

Travis

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:47 pm 

Remember..."It's like a box of chocolates !" ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

DrDrift
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:18 am 

Congrats Travis in your Thorp!

It's an amazing airplane with incredible value.

Cubes spent an absurd amount of time making sure my airplane and piloting skill were sufficient. He sent me off from Vegas last spring, and my first stop was in Sedona. I have been wanting to go back, so I'm looking forward to the 2019 Thorp gathering there.

I'm happy for you that the deal worked out and you got the airplane back home safely. I'm about 90 hours in and still learning about it, so I imagine that the next several months for you will be a similar learning experience. Obviously be conservative in exploring the flight envelope and different situations, but I've found great handling qualities and great performance throughout.

Having a fast, cheap airplane really changes perspective on travel. You can reasonably make a quick visit a few states away into a day trip, although summer daylight and/or landing lights help.

Flying the Thorp has been wonderful, but learning to maintain it has been surprisingly enjoyable. Any airplane, maybe particularly a home built, will need constant attention to keep it flying beautifully. Cubes and Aircraft Spruce will soon overtake all your other contacts - speed dial for both!

I'm eager to hear about your next few hours, particularly when you take the family up for the first time.

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 pm 

Congratulations Travis,

And welcome to the group. When I first thought of the idea of building an airplane, the Thorp was not on my list. People would ask what it was and what was wrong with the airplane and it's design. I would elaborate in telling them that it was an airplane built from drawings and that it was a builder's airplane and a leggo set like the VAN's series of airplanes and the many like out there. Yes, the VAN's series of airplane is a fine machine, but came as an assembly system. Once I explained, they understood and were really interested.

Seemed the T-18 was and is like some of those movie stars you see in the movies many times over and over, but could never remember their names; they were what we used to call the "Popular Unknown" and that's where our airplane was and still is. It is incumbent upon all of us Thorp owners to see to it that air airplane is recognized for what it really is.

In my most revered and honest opinion...there is no other airplane and you have never owned and airplane until you've had a THORP!

Welcome again Travis and tell us how it flies.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

dondday
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:10 pm 

Correction.

"and NOT, I meant to write, NOT! a leggo set like the VAN's series of airplanes and the many like out there".

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 pm 

I have a big “Thorp T-18” on both sides of the cowl and people still ask me “what is it?” after they’ve walked around it.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

DrParachute
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:29 pm 

Thanks Don and Jeff, I am really excited to have Thorp. Landings are getting much smoother, and first repairs have already been completed (old broken fuel line from wing tank fuel pump to header tank). Having a Thorp builder at my base airport (Ron Hayes) has already been instrumental in understanding some of the things you just don't know until you own an airplane.

Just on my flight home from Tampa to Kansas City I had folks asking what the plane was and taking pictures!

Thanks guys! Once I get a bit more dual and solo hours, I look forward to being able to join up and meet ups and such.
Travis