Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Binder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 pm 

thanks for that link! I'll test the stick 15* but the rest of the info on arm length and such is way over my head.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm 

I would check control throws first. I would find where the elevator is centered and check for 5* down and 15* up. If that is correct then I would check the travel on the tab. Digital protractors are great but a pitch and angle locator https://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-Pit ... /100193539 works okay for a cheap protractor.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:42 pm 

I have a device used to measure spinal angles (called a petrometer) which works well. The easiest is to use the compass feature on iphone and switch it over to the level. Accurate and you can zero it out.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

How about tracing a paper template from the full size drawings and taping to the side of the AC ? ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm 

Hey Rich, ya can't justify a fancy new tool if you go old school to solve the problem. 8)

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:29 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
How about tracing a paper template from the full size drawings and taping to the side of the AC ? ???

RB O0

Good idea but I don’t believe he has the drawings in a format that can be easily traced.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 pm 

I believe he is the gent that has the plans on micro fish ? ??? Can you say paper set of plans ! :P Pretty sure I went to the old KINKOS and made several copies (just in case I FUBAR one !) of that drawing from my paper plans , cut off the access and taped it to the side of the AC. Bruce...old technology ! :o Mark One Eye Ball and a pencil still work pretty good ! ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am 

Last night I was thinking about the microfiche and I remembered I had scanned my dad's slides into jpg. It should be possible to do the same with the microfiche using a good flatbed scanner with a high pixel count and convert the scans into pdf files. Easier to store and use than paper or microfiche with the ability to just print what's needed to maintain an existing airplane.

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:36 pm 

Jeff J wrote:
Last night I was thinking about the microfiche and I remembered I had scanned my dad's slides into jpg. It should be possible to do the same with the microfiche using a good flatbed scanner with a high pixel count and convert the scans into pdf files. Easier to store and use than paper or microfiche with the ability to just print what's needed to maintain an existing airplane.

I guess I could try that. With as tiny as it is I think the resolution will be significantly lacking when zoomed. I'll be pretty busy until wednesday when I leave on vacation so I'll give it a shot when I return.

I like the blown up paper taped to the empanage idea though. Simple and easy.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am 

I had some time this morning so I attempted to find some info on scanning microfiche. I found a lot of scanning services and equipment for sale but the only "how to" article I found so far didn't really make it sound like it was feasible unless you already have some pretty good photo editing software and equipment like a 7200 dpi scanner (the HP sitting next to me is only good for 600 dpi). Anyway, the article is at: https://itstillworks.com/12381998/how-t ... che-to-pdf

Profile Personal album