Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
pilotronics
 Post subject: Re: Aux Fuel Tank
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:16 pm 

Has anybody used the voids under the seats for fuel? I have a 10 gallon aux tank that mounts to the turtledeck behind the seats from one of my carcass airplanes. But I think you could fit another 10 under the seats.

Seeya at KOSH Tue-Wed

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:29 am 

My autopilot servo, IFF antenna, spare oil, and lightweight battery charger take up that space.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 am 
I carry a tool bag that weighs about 20 pounds, spare mag, couple quarts oil, auto pilot servo, do dads my wife buys when we are on trips, and anything else that'll fit. I carry the model a ford blocks in the front seat and luggage area

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 am 

Small tool box that also includes spare nuts/bolts/cotter keys/safety wire , etc. First aid kit , spare radio and transponder (Microair) , folding chair , auto pilot servo , strobe power supply , ADS-B antenna . :o After 3 hours it's time to drink and drain ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

darbsmith
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:57 am 

Following are designs for rear baggage compartment fuel tank.

Attachment:
XWF~0003.jpg
XWF~0003.jpg [ 112.84 KiB | Viewed 9658 times ]

Enjoy,
Brad

dondday
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 pm 

Thorpies,

To fuel the wings or not to fuel the wings. This subject seems to be taking the "Liberals Vs Conservative" argument and I say do with your wings as you wish; in the meantime, I'll give you two cents worth.

My airplane holds 62 gallons and all usable. It's a little sluggish when at gross, but does fly well. Climbing to 9500' will yield me some 195 mph burning 6.5 with 2490 rpm. If wind is from the tail at that altitude, we're talking about 220+ mph ground speed. Not shabby.

My reasoning and personal preference when building my airplane was to build it for travel long distance without the need to refuel too often. I still make the 3 to 3.5 hrs stops. Many years ago in early '70s, when fuel was available at $0.40/gal, I would travel around the countryside in West Texas and come to an airport and everyone would be gone for the day. If I did get hold of someone, they would tell me it would cost more per gallon if someone were to show up to fuel and more often than not, they would not show up and I was forced to spend the night either under the wing or on a couch if lobby was open. Thinking back to those days when building my airplane, I decided I would not sleep on the couch ever again lets me wife made me.

Returning home to Parker Co airport (WEA) from Sun 'n Fun some three years ago on flight of three, we stopped at Perry Foley (40J) just east of Tallahassee, FL and topped off with 60 gallons on board. We departed to the west and made my split off just west of New Orleans, a small airport near Reserve, LA, back then known as St John, now Port of South Louisiana Exec (APS) where I tied down and visit with my brothers and sisters in New Orleans for a few days. Returning to the airport a few days later, the manager greeted me at the airplane to welcome me back, when I told him I was on my way home and was just going to push to the pumps and get a little fuel so I wouldn't have to refuel when I got home.

The manager at Port of South Louisiana told me he had plenty of fuel, but no way to pump. Pump was our of order and bid forgiveness for the inconvenience. I told him it was ok, I had plenty to get home and I did. Wings were empty, but had 15 gallons remaining in the main on a flight of over 730nm.

My point in all this? While travelling, you could end up flying to an airport with no fuel available and you'd be stuck with lots of inconveniences. My 32 gallons extra in my wings give me peace of mind when travelling and much more flexible.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:07 am 

Fuel in wings is self supporting and does not eat up baggage space or useful load.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am 

I recommend a surgically implanted "relief tube" for those longer than normal flights ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

fulcrumflyer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm 

fytrplt wrote:
Fuel in wings is self supporting and does not eat up baggage space or useful load.

Bob,
I want to see the math on that.

Spanky

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 pm 

fulcrumflyer wrote:
fytrplt wrote:

Bob,
I want to see the math on that.

Spanky

Me too.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:39 am 

Glad someone is listening out there. In flight, the wing spar doesn't have to carry the fuel load. The fuel weight is borne by the skins. Tail loads, to include fuselage loads,of course, certainly increase. Ground loads, to include landing and taxi are a big concern. Rolling moments are also a consideration. In practice, I limit the plane to Normal Catagory (3.8 g) with fuel in the wings. Also, I do not plan to land with fuel in the wings. All of this was based on a conversation with Don Taylor, world-rounder, and his discussions with John Thorp. Your math may differ. I welcome your views. If my thoughts are flawed, I need to know.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 am 

The only way useful load cannot be affected is by increasing the gross weight to accommodate the increase in fuel load. The gross weight of my T-18 is 1500 pound. If the empty weight is 1000 and it currently holds 200 pounds of fuel, that makes my useful load 300 pounds. If I add wing tanks to hold 100 pounds of fuel, my useful load drops to 200 pounds. Gross weight can be increased but to Say adding fuel to the wings doesn’t have an affect on useful load isn’t accurate by the math nor the reasons stated above about rolling weight, ect.

Many aircraft are not designed to land with the same load they can takeoff with. Anyone know how to compute a maximum landing weight?

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 am 

My normal cat gross weight is 1850.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

Don't know how to cypher the math for max landing weight ? ??? All the AC I flew it was a single number you got drilled into your noodle during ground school , along with all the other ones like Max ramp weight , MTOW , Blah , Blah , Blah !! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:07 pm 

Look on the sidewall of your main landing gear tire for starters. It gives a max weight. Most 5x5s are about 750# and 120 MPH.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next