Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: TABLET BASED CHARTS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:46 pm 

What's an 8 track ? ??? Had one in 1970 in my 1967 Chevy Malibu S/S 327 . Paid $1,800 for the car , now worth $50,000 + . :P Good thing I held onto my "Pet Rock" , it is worth slightly less ! ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm 

Thanks to all of your help. I am the proud new owner of a new Samsung 8" tablet. Went with Avare charts for two reasons, first I'm frugal (cheap) and second this product displays NOS approach plates. I have played with it a little and found it simple enough for a old fart to use. I went with the Samsung tablet for two reasons, first I'm cheap there was a sale on at Cosco for $100.00 off on the latest model, second the 8" size was about the same size as a NOS approch plate. I am going to keep paper for a while, until I get used to the thing and will have a extra battery that can be plugged into the mini charging port. The reason I have decided to go with the tablet is the paper charts were really a pain to deal with with two people in the Thorp and second did I mention that I am cheep ;D
Thanks again Phil
118BC

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm 

Phil : Cheap ? Are you still using single ply TP ? ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm 

Yep! And I use both sides

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 pm 

Nothing wrong with going cheap. I use foreflight pro as it will display approach plates with a moving map so it's a quick reference backup on location.

My second favorite was flight plan go. Fltplngo in the App Store. It's free and works on android. I honestly liked it better than any of the other paid services although I haven't used the garmin app.

I recommend getting iPad Air or mini 3 with cellular service as it has the gps chip in it already. You can get them factory refurb for cheap and they work perfectly fine. I assume the mini 4 and air 2 are getting cheap as well. I have an air2 primarily and my work tablet is a mini 3. To get winds and weather t mobile gives a monthly 200mb tablet service for free. I've never gone over the limit just getting a quick weather update out on the ramp.

I have my instrument check ride scheduled for tomorrow but just had it pushed back due to storms. After buying the paper charts for that I don't for one second think paper is cheaper. Just 1 flight from Indiana to Florida is 2 enroute charts and at least 2 tpp. I ended up with 37$ in enroute and 2 tpp (I'm on state line) with cheapest shipping and they expire in 2 weeks. So annually the foreflight is much cheaper for me and it contains the aim, far, and all other publications. So your reference books and even the airplane flying manual and instrument flying manuals ($20 something each on Amazon) are also on there. So plenty of extras for the money imho. Oh ya and filing flight plans is cake with foreflight.

The log book and tracking is amazing for me as well. If I didn't use the tracking log and auto log book I would probably stick with my backup app of fltpln go.

Unclerap
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:12 pm 

I went with Samsung tablet $89 on ebay, Avare and opted for the Pro ADSb IN, really splurged on the Pro, it was $2.49. I also bought a backup usb battery for about $18, so the tablet is independent of the 14v system. Downside is ADSb in is the same usb port as the backup battery, so I have to make a choice. I haven't been on the AVARE forums lately, maybe someone developed a fix for that.

Rap

Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 am 

What is this? "the Pro ADSb IN, really splurged on the Pro, it was $2.49"

Profile Personal album  

Unclerap
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:37 pm 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e.ADSB.Pro

Requires a few bucks of hardware, works ok if you have adsb out, but if you don't it's a bit klunky. Shows all aircraft as if their alt is above you.