Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

t18joe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm 

Has anyone installed a Superior Cold Air Induction Sump on a IO-320 or IO360? If so have you had any problems, modification of the cowling, was the exhaust installation a problem, was the fuel distribution valve on top of the engine interfere with the cowling?? THANKS

Hagle347
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm 

Hey T-18Joe. I've got a Superior Cold Air induction system on the airplane that i'm working on. Yes to the exhaust issue. Because of where the injection servo sits, you are unable to use the crossover exhaust. My exhaust is currently being welded. I'm still working on the induction side. As far as the distribution valve on top. You should have room. I'm working on a plenum and there's room for that and not hitting the top of the cowl. Oh, and even a lightweight alternator is just in the way (a little) - I'm all electric, no vacuum pump, so it's adapt a B&C vacuum mount alternator to fit on the back of the engine. You can also check my build log for the fit of some of the other items.
Hope this helps. I'm expecting a clean installation once I figure out all the other issues.
T

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:17 pm 

I put a Superior Cold Induction Sump on my RV-8. Vetterman Exhaust has a special crossover system that looks like a pair of Y pipes that join below the sump, leaving room for the forward mounted injector servo.
http://vettermanexhaust.com/ look down the page a ways... Maybe it fits a T-18, it only takes a phone call to find out.
If I put the Cold Intake on my T-18 I would remove the cowl intake scoop and build a new one farther up to provide straight in airflow like on my RV-8. http://gallery.eaa326.org/v/members/semery/

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm 

If you opened the Vetterman Exhaust link I posted above, you might notice (at the bottom of the page) a bit on pressure recovery fairings under the VAN's RV6/7 to reduce drag behind the cowl air/exhaust exit.
A thing like that *could incline* a T-18 owner to feel a bit smug about JT's fine side cooling outlets. 8)

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 pm 

Well, that’s THE difference between an airplane designed by an engineer vs an aircraft marketer. Just my most humble opinion....

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I think Scott was going the other direction on that one Terry. Several guys have added fairings to the cheek outlets ...little to no affect.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 pm 

Well, I was just thinking that the smooth bottom of a T-18 has less drag than the traditional open bottom cooling outlet. That side outlets, as seen on some famous WWII fighter aircraft and the T-18 seem to be better. On my O-290 powered ship, cooling is never an issue and it's pretty fast for only 125 HP!
Lee, I never knew anyone had added fairings to the T-18 cheek exits. You may be harboring a story 'to be told at a fly-in'. ;)

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:44 am 

Good comments, Scott & Terry. The side outlets on the T-18 cowl were chosen specifically because that is a low pressure area, which contributes to an increase in efficiency of air flow through the engine compartment, as well as potentially less drag compared to the common bottom discharge. I’m working from memory, and it’s pretty late, so I’m hoping others will clarify or correct that as necessary.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Hagle347
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:26 am 

Here's one version of cowl cheek extensions. This was the 3rd cowl my father built for N45881 and the last photos I saw of the airplane- they are still on the fuselage.

T
Kong had a version of operating side cowl flaps. I never heard how effective they were.

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 pm 

While I was waiting for my engine to come back, I had a chance to read some of the articles by Peter Garrison. Some suggestions that the aft section of the Thorp cowl was larger than 'required'. I made measurements and came up with what you see in the photos. A choked down plug fiberglassed to the cowl cheek. The left side is slightly ahead of the right in terms of being done. There are also ramps inside the cowl to direct the low speed air aft.
However, the main reason for starting this process was strictly visual. I wanted the aft end of the cowl to be in line with the aft side of the landing gear leg fairing.
Just keep working til it's done....

Profile Personal album