Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 am 

Alright, I'm at the point where I decided to use a remote oil filter....I'm looking for recommendation on which system would work well with my IO-320. In looking at photos of what others have done. I don't think the b&c would work vertically for my installation - I have and engine drive fuel pump directly below the oil housing.
Thanks
Terry

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am 

I used richs setup and love it. Bill posted a remote setup one time that was even less expensive than richs components. Do a search and both should turn up. I couldn't imagine changing my oil without the remote filter installed.

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:35 pm 

The B&C is a nice unit and some have been able to use it. None of their standard engine mounted offerings would fit my O-320 and I am not running a fuel pump. They have mock-up pieces they can send out for test fitting. On the remote mount I recommend doing a full conversion so all of the oil goes through the filter. Otherwise you get 2 messes for the price of one because the screen will need to be checked with the oil change. These pictures were taken at my last oil change. The first one is from the screen and the second is from the filter. The bigger chunks from the filter were generated by ripping the element from the can.

I was thinking about having B&C make me a custom spacer to make the engine mounted unit work.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm 

I've had some poor luck with the oil filter mount. The $19.99 cheapy cast aluminum mount has a crooked mount nipple; the filter gasket can't seal it's so bad.
I eventually found one that I would like to share with the group:
Earl's Performance 2178ERL - Earl's Performance Remote Oil Filter Mounts
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-2178erl
It's machined billet aluminum, the mounting flange is removable and is held on by two 1/4-20 flush head Allen drive screws.
I removed the flange and made a 3 Adel clamp mount to fit the 5/8" engine mount legs under the oil cooler.
I drilled down thru the top of the filter mount and tapped it 1/8 NPT for the oil temperature sender.
I had some trouble making up the hoses, one of the hose ends kept ripping up the inside of the hose, so the hose kept getting shorter as I remade the connection...I threw that fitting in the trash and used another one. >:(
Be sure to inspect the inside when you make up hoses, a local Cessna 205 driver had a fuel hose with a rubber flap caused by the hose end. It cut off the fuel flow after take off and he landed on the highway.

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 pm 

Here is a picture of the Earl's oil filter mount with the temperature sender installed toward the back. The rear mounting flange has been removed, showing the 1/4-20 holes.
'Feisty' is in the background. Most of the upgrades have been completed and the engine is about ready to run again. I still have the left wing panel to work on...
The picture is suffering from the iPhone effect (rotated 90) It will appear properly if you click on it.

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 135.26 KiB | Viewed 6175 times ]

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 am 

"Looking good Billy Ray !" ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am 

that is pretty nifty with temp sender hook up right there.

Profile Personal album