Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

majurpain
 Post subject: Re: PC-680 Battery
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am 

or this? Exact same size as the 680, surprisingly similar cranking specs... Some posts on another forum say that Gruber is the manufacturer of the PC-680. $36 bucks could sound even better than $105 from Amazon IF it's actually equivalent... Different posts, is that a problem?
http://www.gruberpower.com/12-volt-18-amp-hour-ah-battery

Buy two, put em in parallel, start a MiG 21 with 'em...

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:09 pm 

Are there any stores that actually carry Odyssey batteries or an equivalent? I just pulled mine because it showed 10 volts on the meter. I called the local auto parts store and they have never heard of them. I will put mine on the load tester after it is charged but I don't have a lot of hope since it is nearly 7 years old.

Thanks,
Jeff

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:17 pm 

If you look closely at the GPS battery it is made in Commie land . Pretty sure the Odyssey is made in the USA . You can buy the PC-680 online for about $100 + or - and get free shipping and in most cases no tax . Just spend a few minutes sniffing out the best deal . :o 7 years old ? I would say it is pretty much at its time of useful consciousness ! :P BOOM ! BTW...do you keep it on a maintainer ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:46 pm 

It was not being kept on a maintainer. I went out to troubleshoot a fluctuating volt meter I noticed during yesterday's flight. It was showing good voltage when I parked it but not today. I see them for sale everywhere online but nothing will ship until Monday.

I wish the batteries had standard hardware. The only metric tool in my toolbox is a 13mm for use on Concord batteries. Been that way for 15+ years. These look to be about 10mm. I had to use channel locks to remove it because I don't keep a crescent wrench in with my aviation stuff either.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:05 pm 

It is an M6 bolt with a 10mm head . You can get metric to SAE adapters (Amazon, ebay , race sites , etc.) for the PC680 or just carry a small 10mm wrench . I recommend a maintainer for the PC680 battery . Go to the Odyssey site and they will give the maintainer requirements AMPS/charging requirements (do have those #'s on top of my noddle right now) . ::)

RB O0
Dr. Electron

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:08 am 

I'm new to the scene and read a few articles about aviation batteries verses automotive (along with the Chargers). Is this an approved aviation battery?

Mine is behind the passenger seat and with my 0290 I have a rearward Cg on lower fuel levels so I'm trying to bring the Cg forward. This could help. I know David read has a firewall battery.

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:28 am 

I don't believe it is actually "FAA approved" except in some SLSA but they are getting installed via field approvals in standard category aircraft and popular among homebuilts.

Rich,
I have metric tools, just not in my aviation toolbox. Most of my original metrics are still in the plastic bags they came in when I bought the full set 15+ years ago. Some had to be opened to work on a 912 powered SLSA a guy wanted me to work on couple of years ago. I have turned down work on 2 of the 912's since. I installed a Plane Power alternator on a C-188 last year and it uses metrics. A need for star drive bits is starting to show up because magneto covers are starting to use those instead of the traditional slotted screws. I bought another full tool set last year so I could leave the portable toolbox in the truck (I got the second set for about half price, already shadowed in a roll away). Even my 2008 Ford still uses a 5/8" wrench to remove the oil drain plug and 1/2" on the battery connections. I don't know that the changes are a bad thing but don't have room for them in my toolbox and it is already about all I can carry in and out of a hangar. I am just feeling old and grumpy and I believe if it is made in the USA they should use USA sizes. ;)

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:30 am 

I think "approved" aircraft batteries traditionally had spill-proof caps on the cells. As this is a gell cell, the cap is a non-issue. I, myself, use a powered wheelchair battery.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:55 am 

I don't think the caps were ever considered spill proof by anyone except maybe the manufacturer. It is pretty common for the traditional batteries to boil over if discharged then charged with the alternator. That is why aircraft designed for those batteries have drains in the battery boxes and several have acid neutralizing sumps. The caps do have check valves that should reduce the amount that can get out but they have to be able to vent. hmm... I think feel an experiment coming on... There are several dead batteries at the shop, I think I will go kick one over and see what happens...

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:41 am 

Metric/SAE probably a crossover effect . My 2012 Edge uses metric . Probably makes it easier to sell stuff overseas ? ??? Probably the best thing to have in a Fly Away tool kit is a very small Crescent wrench !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 am 

Could be. I know sometimes they match up over 1/2" but none of my metrics fit as well as the standards do. I tried metrics first since it is a newer vehicle.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:42 pm 

fytrplt wrote:
I think "approved" aircraft batteries traditionally had spill-proof caps on the cells. As this is a gell cell, the cap is a non-issue. I, myself, use a powered wheelchair battery.

I believe mine is also, Bob. It's a gel cell, and they've always been very long-lived & dependable. It's heavier than the AGM batteries like the PC-680, and a lot heavier than the Lithium batteries, but it's been bullet-proof, reasonably priced and available locally, and it doesn't keep me awake at night dreaming about in-flight fires like one of those lithium babies would. :o

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE