Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Tim Brown
 Post subject: a BETTER interior vent!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:55 pm 

I have been sweating a bit (OK more than a bit) too much this summer while meandering about the not so cool Canadian skies.
Seems no matter how much ventilation I have I need more.
I currently have two small (2" vents in the windshield, a crazy small (3/4 inch vent that gets its air supply from the left wing root) and the inward opening flap at the back of the canopy.
With all three wide open I'm still begging for a breeze....
I was thinking off a very dirty (aerodynamically) flip open vent on the fuselage side below the canopy/windshield edge...I'll happily surrender a few knots of TAS for a few know of breeze :)

so I was wondering if anyone has built a better vent.

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 pm 

I have often thought of making a vent in the fuel sender access cover. I haven't actually done it though....

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 pm 
I installed two vent intakes, one in each leading edge of the wing just outside the prop wash. Ran 1' scat hose from the intake to an "eyeball" vent in the dash. At altitude we shut them down and cannot unfold a map when open.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm 

Thorp Cabin Air Vents. Let's see if the attachment works. This from an old newsletter article I posted.

Attachment:
Thorp Cabin Air Vents.doc [574 KiB]
Downloaded 1035 times

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:54 am 

Again total newbie here.

But my thought was this. In order for air to come into the cabin. It has to either pressurize the cabin, or there has to be a way for the air within the cabin to get out, for new fresh air to get in.

Is it possible that with all your inlet air vents, there is simply not enough place for the air to get out?

Maybe a rearward facing small retractable hinged flap about the size of a dollar bill, on the bottom of the fuselage behind or under the baggage area would make sense. I suppose it could be on either side of the fuselage but putting it on the bottom of the fuselage hides it from veiw. This flap would sort of be like a cowl flap. Maybe a simple hinge with a teleflex cable to open/close the flap. the vent could then be connected to a scat hose or something so that the exit vent inside the cabin could be placed strategically for asthetics etc. This rearward flap it would seem to me would create an area of low pressure behind it to help suck out the hot cabin air.

This evacuation of the air would then "make room" for new fresh air to come in through your already existing inlets?

Just a crazy idea that popped into my strange mind.

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:06 pm 

Cabin air exits the tailcone.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Brent Schultz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm 

Our new bird has NACA inlet vents, two of them, just forward of the windshield. One goes to eyeball vent for pilot and one for the co-pilot. We were suspect about them, but in 100+ degree weather the cockpit get a nice airflow from them in flight. Not sure I well they would do if we were flying through a bit of rain. Probably need to make some stoppers for the them on cross country flights.

Brent Schultz
N327SB
KAJO

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 pm 

Can you post a picture of the NACA vent please

Profile Personal album  

Brent Schultz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:44 pm 

Here is the best pictures I got. Try to zoom in and look at the cowling just 5 or 6 inches away from the front windshield. I will try to take some up close pictures and post them later.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 18917 times ]
File comment: [url=http://postimg.org/image/vopmjysz3/][img]http://s27.postimg.org/vopmjysz3/image.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/6heqjppv3/][img]http://s27.postimg.org/6heqjppv3/image.jpg[/img][/url]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 140.66 KiB | Viewed 18917 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 18917 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Brent Schultz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 pm 

Sorry :( Those were not good pictures. I will shoot some new ones and post it this weekend.

Profile Personal album  

ljkrume
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:42 am 

I thought of different places to put a vent too and decided the bottom of the fuselage is probably not good - could get exhaust fumes. Sides probably not good either - downstream of the gills air would be warm. Mine are at the leading edge joints of center and outer wings.

Les Krumel,
Albuquerque

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 am 

I like the NACA ducts since they make the airplane look like its going 10 kts faster... It would be a bear to install without removing the fuel tank though...I think...

Les...do you have any pictures?

Profile Personal album  

thorpdrvr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm 

I have an outward opening rear vent vs inward opening. It blows about double to triple the air of the inward vent.
Open your rear vent and chug a couple cans of beer. Then cut up the cans and make a forward facing air scoop over the original rear vent hole in canopy. I had to go up above the canopy about an inch to hit good air flow. May want to put some tape on canopy before taping the scoop on to prevent scratches in canopy. After 8 hours go up and see if it made enough difference to justify changing to an outward opening door that rams the air in.
I'll try to get some pics when I get home next Monday. I also have two leading edge vents in the innermost rib bay just against the fuselage side. The air exits just below the knee thru the side skin. The combination of the three seem adequate for the Texas heat. Of the three the rear canopy blows the most air.

Bernie
N18xs

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 pm 

I am looking forward to seeing a picture of the aircobra scoop... it makes a ton of common sense

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:34 pm 

Newsletter #56 , page 168 . Fresh air vent . One I used , but did not use Tee #2 .

Profile Personal album