Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Andy475
 Post subject: Grass Runway Ops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 pm 

Hey Folks,

I'm looking at moving into an airpark, and the closest option to my next location of employment is a 3000' turd strip with 50' obstacles starting 100' from each end. I usually hold myself to 3000' paved for all heavy weight operations, mostly for stopping room. I was wondering what other folks were using for Turf takeoff minimums, I don't have a lot of data to fall back on for turf operations. The shortest turf strip I've actually stopped on was 3400' feet of Texas.... we'll call it prairie land, and that cost me a wheel pant bracket. I usually reserve the turf runways for my Luscombe. The more tempting option is 3x as far away but has a cozy 3700' strip with lights.

-Andy
N78WG

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Re: Grass Runway Ops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:21 pm 

well, I wouldn't land on a turd runway no matter low long it was! I have begun landing at a few grass strips lately, so I am watching the responses with interest as well. I don't have any good minimum turf info other than to say I land at 3000' turf strips and haven't had issues. They don't have obstructions though.

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 pm 

Okay, Thorps on Grass. Most of N218TH's landings have been on 3100 feet of Grass. The runway was just updated last year. The key to grass is the condition and length of the turf. If the turf is long, so is the takeoff roll longer. However, longer grass slows you down on landing quicker. Ours stays cut at 4"during the spring and summer. The grass is dormant now and the surface flat.
It wouldn't seem that a 50 ft obstacle at that distance would be an issue. The more time and experience you have in your Thorp- the more, on speed and consistent your paved landings- surface matters not so much. Our runway is marked at the ends and center point for distance reference. You won't find DATA for turf strips because the condition of the turf varies daily.
Takeoff distance has not been an issue for operating off Turf. Particularily with the Thorp. Landing on pavement or grass is all about technique and personal comfort.
You should find that 3000' is plenty of room for your operations. There are others who operate their Thorps with much less than that.
Hope this helps.

Blue Skies,
Terry

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 pm 

Mine saw a lot of turf the first few years I owned it. My first landing with it was on grass. About 900 feet to get off the ground, about the same to land if I didn’t work the brakes much. The runway length was 3600 feet at work. Flew in and out of 15MO (2300’ grass) several times without issue. I also flew into 6K9 once. That runway was a little rough because the moles had been in it. I removed the wheel pants after the first year but that decision had nothing to do with flying using turf runways.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

hjubm2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:21 am 

My Thorps been based on a grass farm strip the nearly 5 years I've owned it. As mentioned the length of the grass makes a difference. Being a farm strip it is nowhere near what I would call smooth or overly well maintained. Because of this (taking the approaches into consideration) there is approximately 700m (2300ft) usable due to the slope of the runway & the approaches. As long as I am on speed the landing is a non event & the Thorp can be pulled up by halfway with minimum (of any) braking. I have operated out of an approximately 600m (1900ft) strip without issues as well in the middle of the Australian summer while relatively light (just myself, close to full fuel & 25kg or so of weight in the baggage compartment). The biggest issue I have found is with taking off & the initial climb out until above any obstacles due to my aircraft having a fairly tired O-320 150hp.

I hope this helps you out.
Cheers