Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Spins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm 

One on Barnstormers for $20,000 .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 pm 

Tornadojoe wrote:
Lou, I've spent two years studying the drawings and watching videos and builder's site forums for the Midget Mustang. Just when I was ready to commit to it, I decided that I should go find one and try it on for size. I'm only five feet ten inches tall, but felt like I was sitting in a go-cart with my knees in my chest. Getting back out of it was an ordeal in itself. I started researching the S 18 with considerations for building one. So far, I've learned nothing about the airplane that makes me want one. For now, I'll just drop back and punt. Thanks for responding to my post, Joe

That's because you never flew one.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Jeff J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 am 

Tornadojoe wrote:
Lou, I've spent two years studying the drawings and watching videos and builder's site forums for the Midget Mustang. Just when I was ready to commit to it, I decided that I should go find one and try it on for size. I'm only five feet ten inches tall, but felt like I was sitting in a go-cart with my knees in my chest. Getting back out of it was an ordeal in itself. I started researching the S 18 with considerations for building one. So far, I've learned nothing about the airplane that makes me want one. For now, I'll just drop back and punt. Thanks for responding to my post, Joe

The bigger question might be: What do you want for an airplane? You indicated you were keenly interested in the Midget Mustang so why the sudden shift to a 2 seat? There are other single seat "go fast" airplanes to choose from (RV-3, Cassut, Shoestring...) . Your height wouldn't have anything to do with that since EAB aircraft are built to fit the builder but it is the only reason you gave. I have sat in a T-18, Mustang II, RV-6 and a Tailwind. The Mustang II was a bit of a stretch for me because the builder was taller. The RV-6 was a little cramped so I figure the builder was smaller than me. The builder of my T-18 is my size and it fits me pretty well. I did consider an RV-4 and -8 (I even bought an assembled RV-8 tail kit) because the tandem seating offers more room per individual but I am glad I have the T-18.

It is getting hard to find "legally" spinnable primary trainers. It seems like everything I see anymore has a placard prohibiting spins. Some are TC'd that way but even the old C-150s have placards now(because of a rudder stop AD note). Not many places using Citabrias or similar for primary training.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 pm 

Hey Joe that's what I figured. Well first you have to figure your mission and only you can do that right.

If the t-18 fits then consider this:

Its been around sense 63 hundreds have been built.
it was designed by a very professional engineer. Literally the weight for every nut bolt and washer calculated. -18 stands for 18 design.
the tail was tested in a NASA wind tunnel unofficially good for sub mach speed.
it can carry two people across the country w 75 lb of bags at 180 mph
at +6-3 its great fun doing acro. Its size, visibility, control response makes it a perfect formation platform.
the first home built to fly around the world
The first home built to fly to the north pole.
the first home built to fly to Australia.
Factory support was been in decline but that is a thing of the past. you will find all the support you need to build and fly here.
You, literally can not find as much airplane for twice the money.

I suggest you hop a ride. this forum is filled with engineer/ pilots, ex fighter jocks, commercial pilots, all love this plane and would be happy to give you a ride.

guys if I fouled up a fact sing out.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 pm 

You forgot to tell him what a wonderful guy I am ! :P

RB O0
NX115RX

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

wait, why is the "18" in T-18? I never gave it any thought and I don't follow Lou's explanation. Fly one and you'll want one.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:19 pm 
Ryan, if you have'nt done so, Google John Thorp(Wikipedia ??) JT had a lot to do with aircraft, probably short of being a genius when it came to airplanes.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:43 pm 

Attachment:
Scan0119.jpg
Scan0119.jpg [ 383.57 KiB | Viewed 7682 times ]
Designs go back to the 30's , this list proves Bill's point about where the T-18 designation came from . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 am 
The T21 I believe is the "Fletcher" aircraft built in Australia.

stevehawley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:06 am 

Hearing about the "Fletcher" in Australia, I was having coffee one day with John and somehow his "fletcher" design came up. He laughed and told a story about it. Apparently his original intent was to sell it to the defense department as a cheap counter insurgency strike plane, easiely afforded by smaller countries. He was at the airport,probably Burbank, when the president of the United States flew in in Air Force One. His plane was sitting on the apron, running, with loaded machine guns and loaded rocket tubes when AF 1 taxied by. His plane had just returned from a demonstration for the military, I don't remember where. He said the Secret Service would have thrown a fit if they had known the "little airplane" was a deadly killing machine right by the president.

The Fletcher was in production for years in Australia as an Ag plane.
Steve

Carl K Knuth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 am 

Look up T-18 Newsletter #27, Has a very detailed section on Aerobatics including Spins. Luther D. Sunderland's Revised Edition of T-18 Newsletters. (1 through 44)

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:11 pm 

Just for the record the FU24 (Fletcher ) was never produced in Australia. Right from day one when JT came out to set up production it's home has been Hamilton New Zealand. Support is still provided by Pacific Aerospace who produce the XL 750 which was derived from the FU24 albeit not much of the original design left. The FU25 was the Defender a single seat COIN aircraft for ground attack. I think only 3 were ever built and I believe one is still flying in CA somewhere.
Tony
ZK-VMS
T18C

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:18 pm 

Not sure if that is the exact version Tony refers to, but there is a Fletcher based at Yolo county west of Sacramento. It's a sky diving platform. I saw it yesterday while giving a BFR.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 pm 

Cubes
That will be a XL750. A lot have been exported in recent years for parachuting.
Tony S

Profile Personal album  

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 pm 

If you want to see what John's original design developed into go to this site. http://www.aerospace.co.nz/
Tony S

Profile Personal album