Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
 Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:46 pm 

Hi,

I just joined the forum yesterday. I thought I'd introduce myself briefly.

For those who attended the Airventure T-18 forum, I was the guy who asked a bunch of general questions during the forum.

I currently own a 1946 Aeronca 11AC chief. Although I think I may have it sold pending a prebuy inspection and negotiating the price which is scheduled for next Wed.

I have been flying since I was 14 years old. Worked at the local airport and basically never paid a dollar for my lessons as I worked my lessons off and got "paid" with flight instruction. Best years of my life! I soloed officially on my 16th B-day and I officially got my private certificate on my 17th B-day. Since then I have obtained my instrument, commercial and CFI certificates/ratings.

I am a civil engineer and I work for the state of WIsconsin in the department of transportation helping the local municipalities build and improve their airports.

I live just outside Madison, WI on an airpark (6P3). This has a 2,223'x30' Rwy 9/27 and along side a grass runway.

I'm selling my Aeronca to get rid of some debt with one daughter in college and another going to graduate this coming spring I need to get in a bit better fiscal order and we'd like to get a 4 place airplane.

However I've always liked the T-18. And it meets all but one criteria of a plane that I'd like and that is that it is only 2 place.

My wife does not like the Aeronca because it is so light that she feels every bump and she is not a pilot or a flyer so that makes her very uncomforatble. She also does not like it because it is hand propped and we really cannot travel in the airplane. So to meet her needs it would seem like a fast higher wing loading airplane with electric start would fit the bill. And the T-18 meets all those critera. With a nearly 200 mph airplane we can now travel somewhere and the plane becomes a tool and a means to an end rather than just an expensive toy for Dad/husband.

The two place limitation may not be too much of an impediment as the building process will obviously take several years realistically so by that time my two (of three total) daughters will (hopefully) be grown and out of the house by then.

I also love biplanes and would love to have a Acrosport II. But I think that is a much longer process of building than a T-18 and it would also not really meet the transportation role for my wife. Maybe in retirement that will be the time for the Acro II project.

Anyhow enough rambling. I joined to learn more about the T-18 (actually the T18CW or S-18) and see how I can finagle my way into a project or even to buy a set of plans. I MIGHT be able to convince my wife that I can take some of the money from the sale of the Aeronca to buy a set of S-18 plans. Then start slow with buying the necessary tools and some aluminum etc.

Does anyone know of a T-18/S-18 in Wisconsin that I could possibly get a ride in? That maybe would be the best first step. For all I know I may not even like the way it fly's. (doubtful but still a possibility).

Also I would think an autopilot would be needed. But to really make a 180+ mph aircraft a usable travel machine, it would have to be IFR. At least sufficient to blast up through a overcast to get on top. Has anyone done this or is the T-18 too sensitive to really fly IFR?

I have a bunch of other questions but I will save those for other more appropriate topic thread locations.

Looking forward to learning!

Tom

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
 Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tom,

- S-18 Plans are available from ThorpCentral (http://thorpcentral.com) $350.00 a set.

- Thorp in WS?

Bob Pernic is our Wisconsin Thorp Ambassador here's his contact info;

(262)2456445 home
pernic@hale.yerkes.uchicago.edu

- IFR in a Thorp?

Not a problem at all! The airplane is a stable IFR platform I file frequently. And to be honest an autopilot is nice to have but not necessary.

Here's a video of me cruising in N51863 - no autopilot, the plane stays wherever you put it. Also note the positive pitch stability.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
 Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

Thanks Lee. That video does a LOT. Both speed and stability. That is awesome!

169 kts would beat my friends C182 RG. Although he could carry twice as much or more people and baggage while burning more than twice as much fuel.

Life is always about compromise. Never as true than in airplane design/performance trade offs!

Profile Personal album