Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

lance38dt
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 am 

Mission accomplished photo included

Lance

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 pm 

Bob : I was stationed at Pt. Mugu in 1984 and I believe the F-4's had been replaced by the Tom Cats with the "Bunny Tail ." ? ;) In 1996 I did some DOD work flying the Experimental DC-9 out of KNID over to Mugu flying against some "drones" out over the water . Only had to give one call over the radio and that was "Smoke Off !" Pretty sure Fraser was flying the drone as all he had to do was move the "smoke" switch from on to off ! :o I guess sometime in the late 90's VX-4 was transferred to KNID and later decommissioned ? If you remember Hugh Hefiner (sp) had an all black DC-9 with the Bunny Logo on the tail and VX-4 copied that paint scheme . He never did object to the squadron using the logo ? 8) BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:42 pm 

Hey All, Have we an update on how Ken liked his 'surprise' mail from the Thorp Folks?

Terry

Profile Personal album  

Tony Ginn
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 am 

Hey Guys,
Here is a report I received today from Elaine and Howard Ginn who just had lunch and an after-action-report from Ken Knowles. I’ll start off by saying “Thanks, T-18ers, you done good!!”

The “Honor Flight Arizona” was a very organized and well-run trip for 26 WWII Vets from Arizona. A wealthy benefactor paid for everything including the chartered 737 airplane. The Vets were literally treated like royalty the entire trip. Of the 26 Vets the youngest was 90 years old, 20 of them were in wheelchairs and one gentleman celebrated his 98th birthday on the trip. They were taken to many of the Memorials in Wash DC and were always greeted with grateful crowds and applause.

As for Ken and his “mail call” bag, as he described it to my parents, it was one of the “Happiest Days of His Life.” He received many letters from T-18ers and thoroughly enjoyed reading them on the flight home. He also received a large mailing tube from Doug Shinn and opened it on the flight. When others on-board saw that, Ken was talked into going to the front of the cabin and explaining what it was about. He explained that he built airplanes and helped other guys build airplanes and was able to show the poster of the T-18 he built. He received a round of applause from his fellow Vets.

Thanks to the 20 of you who took the time to honor Ken. He greatly appreciated it and is looking forward to participating in the Sedona, AZ Thorp Fly-In in the Spring of 2015 that Rich Brazell is spearheading. Now y’all go eat very healthy, walk 3 miles a day and golf 3 times a week like Ken does so you, too, can spread Thorp goodwill into your nineties. THANKS AGAIN – you done good!
Tony - Out

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm 

What a wonderful tribute ! I can just feel the PRIDE onboard that aircraft ! I wish someone had taken a video ?

V/R

RB

Profile Personal album