Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:17 pm 

The next 2 videos were taken with a DVR camera I got off Amazon for $50 . Be sure to turn the sound down ! 2" x 1" with 2 batteries that can be charged on the computer . I had no idea where to mount the gadget , so I made a small mount that clamps to the dash and points forward . As you can hear the tiny mic pics up EVERY sound generated . Disregard the date/time/stamp , never figured out how to set it ? My landings have gotten much better and the tail wheel bounce has improved . This landing was at Brown Field (26R) in San Diego , just after the 40 hour sign off and if you wonder why I landed past the concrete , it is because the concrete if full of "divets" making for a very rough landing . My very first TO on the initial flight was on this runway and I almost aborted the TO due to the condition of the runway . It was not NOTAM as to the condition , but after I reported it to the tower he said there we complaints as the condition of the concrete ? DOH ! Just a heads up to any one flying to Brown Field . ;) The mic is soooo sensitive it picks up me turning off the panel switches and unbuckling the harness .

The second video is flying into KSEE after about 45 hours in the AC . Again a little tail wheel bounce , but that has been corrected . :o I think it is a pretty good camera for $50 ! ::)

RB :)

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm 

Rich;
Thanks for posting. I just started taking video after my first flights in my new RV-8. I'm starting out using a Sony Action Cam HDR-AS15.
I agree it is tough getting good camera mounting. I'm starting with Ram 1" ball mounts and U bolt clamp assembly to my seat frame, but vibration and a continuous view of my nose hair indicate a possibility for improvement. :P

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:40 pm 

Yall are going to make me go out and buy a GoPro just so I can post a video.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm 

Attachment:
$50 DVR Camera 002.JPG
$50 DVR Camera 002.JPG [ 561.25 KiB | Viewed 9126 times ]
Attachment:
$50 DVR Camera 001.JPG
$50 DVR Camera 001.JPG [ 528.44 KiB | Viewed 9126 times ]
Well...my little DVR camera from Amazon cost $50 and came with 2 lith batteries that charge via a computer , a clip mount to attach to your hat or it is even small enough to tape to the end of your shoe ! 2" x 1" . They say the battery lasts for almost 2 hours ? Have not tested that limit yet . Attached are 2 pics of the little bugger . The dash is out for the annual , but you can see the crude mount I made . :o Next step would be to mount it on a pivot so it can be turned in flight . ;)

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm 

Ryan;
A GoPro would be going right to the top. I selected the midle of the road Sony, $167 on Amazon.
Rich has gone the cheap route with pretty good results.
Rich: You sure get a loud "BWAAANG!!!GRRRRR!!! sound from your tailwheel. Sounds just like mine!
That tail stinger spring and wheel makes me think of an old phonograph arm & needle "His Master's Voice" kinda deal where the airplane tail cone is the phonograph trumpet. :o

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:39 pm 

Hey ! I am not cheap , just inexpensive ! I have looked at other T-18 videos and the "Twang" seems to run the course ? There are a few lucky individuals that can
grease" them on with regularity . ??? (IRA). I now unload the tail a bit on landing and that seems to reduce that "noise." More of a wheel landing ? It doesn't help that we have a LONG fus. to amp the sound ! You are right about the phonograph effect ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 pm 

More Good Videos!!! Thus far I have one decent Video but it's on a disc and I am a nut and bolt guy, don't know how to post it. I have a new camera, will make some more and consult with the master Video maker.........Master Ira of coarse.....Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm 

Dan: If you have that new Super 8 mm sound camera , I have a projector that will play that Super 8 mm film ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 am 

Love the videos, Rich! If you could somehow mount a "neutral density" filter on that camera, you might eliminate much of that "propeller" effect... that supposedly works well with the GoPro units.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

dan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 am 

The wife just got me one of those Emerson Action Cameras, the thing is tiny. I plan on using it here in the very near future best I can tell the little buger works perty good. You can pick one up for bout 50 bucks and hind the thing in the palm of your hand they are so small. Ira uses the Go-Pro and has the thing wired to his Zulu Headset, so he makes some quality Videos. His Videos are all but silent except what is incoming and out going on the headset, matter of fact his Zulu set is so silent during operation its almost scary. Have to look over the nose to see if the kapeller is turnin because you cant hear the plane runnin with the Zulus on!! Dan