Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm 

Bob, or anyone else who has flight experience in an RV-7 and a Thorp:

I am curious about the difference in stall characteristics between the RV-7 series of aircraft and the Thorp. Is there any way to describe the differences in their stall characteristics? I know they all are different to some degree, but I'm hoping to get a little insight.

For example, my Thorp will tell you through the stick that you are going to stall. My control stick will let me know that I am near stalling by giving me a few little stick burbles prior to stall. It generally breaks straight ahead or maybe a left wing drop. I would describe my stall as crisp and a true break once you have stalled. But jaw dropping quick response and recovery when recovery inputs are applied.

Would you describe the RV-7 to have similar stall characteristics to a Thorp?

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm 

The RV series has Hershey Bar wings with a fat cross section. Think Piper Cherokee. You get a sink rate increase when approaching the stall. My present Thorp setup with the Sunderland wing is so straight forward it is hard to tell you stalled; with immediate power input , you lose about 30 feet. My old setup, with the Thorp airfoil, gave a distinct break to the left, but again, recovered immediately. A secondary stall was another matter. You need to center the rudder, stick forward and add full power. A two hundred foot loss was the norm. Since many Thorps have a variety of wing profiles, each one is a little different. I personally know of one that had different profiles on each side. It was not fun to fly.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm 

Thanks Bob.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 am 

Every airplane is going to be different . Be it a Thorp or RV , depending on how it was built . The A-4 and T-39 wing had leading edge slats that would deploy below a certain airspeed as they were held in place by airspeed and when you got close to landing speed they would deploy w/o any pilot action . You could always count on one "popping" out before the other one during stall training . Always a fun filled day ! :o POW !

RB O:-)

Faster and higher

Profile Personal album