Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fraser MacPhee
 Post subject: Re: RPM/EGT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 pm 

Well, didn't get a chance to test it tonight - I'm curious too Dan - prolly test it Saturday if Wx holds - I've tee'd it to a relief tube and hooked a little rotator handle to it, so I can face it aft, and shower whoever is flying close trail or slot.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 pm 

I knew you had it tied into a relief tube ! ;) You will be #4 in ANY formation I fly in ! :) I would be interested in any math numbers regarding the frontal area drag with the "unit ."

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

Two flight today - performed the same routine of building up some downhill speed - no stumbling at all - the only difference was ambient OAT was 45 deg F. vs about 15 - 20 degrees colder before. I think the previous problemo is solvo.

Lesson - make sure fuel tank is properly vented and has adequate ram air.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:34 pm 

Bro...good News about the test flight ! True Value can make a screen door for that vent ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 am 

Good deal Frase! Your vent just makes a streight shot up and over the front of the tank and ties in at the top does it?? Had I to do again and I may very well in the future, The S Tank has a filler neck right off of the top of the tank, I might put me a fitting in this neck for a vent hose and cork off the vent tube thats welded to the top of the tank. I just havent wanted to spend the hour it takes to remove the tank to change the fuel sender...Dan

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 am 

Dan - I really don't know how the vent tube ties in at the top - no way to see it without pulling the tank, and that means more than I want to take on at the moment - I have 4 other weekend/week projects I have to get done before staring her at ASH. A shame I wont have the new panel (started or) done by then - only time and (lack of) money.

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

Same here Frase, your bird looks slick, Id fly that one with a cardboard panel if I had to!! Ive seen your Panel, fly that tiger!! its a knockout............Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 pm 

Dan : You don't have an access panel over the fuel sender ? Shame on you ! BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 am 

Well, no access for the fuel sender, none on the tail for service, I am guilty. The guage hasnt worked for a couple years. I have always used my fuel stick and my watch, but I am going to fix the guage it will tell me if I am loosing fuel overboard in a hurry or somthing of that nature. My Fuel supply lines are going on 4-5 yrs so I need to have a good look at them also. When I pull the tank I will move the vent line so I can get a full tank in the crazy rig. The job will burn the better part of a Saturday but I will just have to set aside the time to do it.....Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm 

If you can pull that tank , install an access cover for the fuel sender , R & R the fuel lines (inspect) , fix the fuel gauge (that is a good idea )...all in a Saturday I will buy you a steak dinner at Tahoe Joe's ! That access cover for the fuel sender only takes about 1.5 hours to install . I installed my access cover with the tank in place . That's another story . If you need to calibrate a sender it is well worth the time to have that widget . I calibrated my solid state sender before I put it in the tank and it still required a bit of twickin to get it within about 1/2 gallon of accurate . A stick and watch are a good back up to panel gauges , but it is hard to tell how much fuel you are using or loosing (leak) with a stick inside the cockpit . I have compared my Westach fuel gauge with my Flight Data Fuel Flow gauge (fuel used) and they are within 1/2 gallon . I believe the FAA sez the only time a fuel gauge has to read accurate is when it reads MT . Then it is time to call a Lawyer ! :o BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album