Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm 

I guess it sucks to live in NV!

Profile Personal album  

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:14 pm 

Smoky: Thanks for the site and the link.

This site shows all the non-ethanol stations in the US.
http://pure-gas.org/

The site also shows the following Canadian provinces and / or gas stations that sell non-ethanol gasoline in:

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm 

OOPS, guess I have been running alki Leiden mid grade for bout 3years, 5 stations here in Ca with pure gas and I haven't got one around for miles just my luck. 6 bucks a gallon for 100LL here at KVIS, would hope it goes down somtime in the next 10 years......Dan

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 pm 

"Feisty" has and O-290G/d2. It seldom gets Avgas, and doesn't seem to like it all that much.
With 7:1 compression, I can't justify it.
Although the fuel pressure reads low on hot days at altitude. Actually, Avgas gave a little bit better fuel pressure reading on one of those hot days, last summer. Yet, the Mogas ran just as well.
I like the Purgas site, it saves us some $ when I visit my old high school bud down in Oregon. Lebanon State S30 has ethanol free 92 Octane Mogas, and is a few miles north of Hobby, Creswell 77S, our destination.

dan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 am 

Whenever I am away from home field I have to use 100LL so I will mix the two and have had no troubles. Around home field I always buy auto fuel from one location,and I use the mid grade. We have one Station that sells Ethonal for flex fuel vehicles, I bought 5 gals of this stuff one afternoon a poured it in on top of the autogas in the tank.Mr Ed Ludke is absolutly right, this stuff will make a lycosaurus Cakkel. The E2D loved it, it smells a little funny when its burnin, I guess its about 130 octane it presents no issues with detonation. The fuel in my tank gets cycled very offen and I use MMO in the stuff to keep it stabilized and help with Valve lubrication. I noticed the Ethanol Layden fuel does not go as far as gasoline, it takes a little more to run about the same hours. I had it mixed at about a 2:1 Ratio, 10 gal gas,5gal alki, I can imagine how Ludkes RVs run on the streight alki, 20% power increase and low cilinder head temps, I havent got up the nerve to try that one yet maybe someday.........Dan

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 am 

Guys,
Are any of you running auto fuel wit the higher compression engines? I have an IO-320 with the 8.5:1 pistons.

Jim Mantyla

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am 

A pull from the Vansairforce forum:
7:1 compression ratio, in an O-360, is had by installing 75413 or equivalent pistons and it is generally accepted to burn mogas with 87 octane and above with that compression ratio. Take off Hp is in the range of 168 with those pistons.

8.5:1 is the standard compression ratio for the O-360 and it is attained by use of 75089 or equivalent pistons. It is generally accepted to run mogas of 91 octane and above with this compression ratio. Rated power is 180 HP with those pistons

9:1 compression is attained by use of the LW-15357 or equivalent, in the O-360, and it is generally accepted that you should use 100LL r above with this engine. Normally see around 185 HP at take off, with those pistons.

The 320 and the 360 have the same bore, only the stroke is longer on the 360 to get the extra displacement. So you use the same pistons to get the same compression ratios for the 320 as with the 360.

7:1 compression ratio, in an O-320, is had by installing 75413 or equivalent pistons and it is generally accepted to burn mogas with 87 octane and above with that compression ratio. Take off Hp is in the range of 150 with those pistons.

8.5:1 is the high compression ratio for the O-320 and it is attained by use of 75089 or equivalent pistons. It is generally accepted to run mogas of 91 octane and above with this compression ratio. Rated power is 160 HP with those pistons

9:1 compression is attained by use of the LW-15357 or equivalent, in the O-320, and it is generally accepted that you should use 100LL above with this engine. You should see around 164 HP at take off, with those pistons.

Good Luck,
Mahlon

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm 

I think its about time I explored that too.... I have a 160 hp 0-320 (I believe I am running the 8.5/1 pistons as well). I have never run auto fuel but about 50% or more of the folks here at CJL5 do. Opinions vary from "doesn't do any harm" to "that stuff will kill you".
Since we only have the one fuel tank I can't carry 100ll in one for t/o and landing and another cruise tank with autofuel like some.... does that make a difference?

Profile Personal album