Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday I flew from St. Augustine FL to Houston ...

Mind you, if you've been looking at the weather lately you'll notice that was not a trivial task. My route took me from SGJ to Bay Minette (uneventful) then from there to my home base in Houston by way of Longview, TX, Palestine, TX, Conroe, TX and finally an approach in moderate rain to Houston. Have a look at a map or check out the flight on Flightware .. those who think flying is a direct route will see something interesting.

But that's not the point.

I was thinking this yesterday as I was sitting there at 12500ft doing 160kts and burning 7.5 gph (I've adopted a new "throttle back" policy on x-countries). Flying around like that nowadays is commonplace, people do it all the time, I was on the freq with Cirrus, Cessnas, Southwest etc, all diverting, looking at big monster thunder bumpers etc, traveling somewhere. But think about this ... imagine someone like Bill Warwick, the year is 1963, he's flying from CA to Rockford doing 160kts in an airplane he just built in his garage! That seems "normal" to us today but imagine back then ... just think about that.

What an amazing airplane we all have! and what a huge contribution to the homebuilding world the Thorp T-18 has been and still is ... I truly believe that without John Thorp and our airplanes the sport aviation world would not be the same.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:33 pm 

I remember when all you needed was a #2 pencil, a 50 cent Sectional and a plotter to make it from point A to B ! You did not have access to internet weather maps and your brief was on the land line (FSS) and maybe a look at the local TV weather. Not that there is anything wrong with todays gadets. The amount of situational awareness today is amazing ! You still have to Aviate, Navigate and talk on the radios. I look at the Air France crew that had the most advanced Commerical Airplane in the world and due to lack of training and systems failure they drove the A/C into the sea. They lacked basic "stick and rudder skills."

We have come a long way, but don't let technology bite you in the ass ! Fly the Sky Machine. 1963 was a good year ! Lee...you are correct it is a great airplane !

RB

Profile Personal album