Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

1albee
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 pm 

I am installing a used standard landing gear on my T18, it has the small cracks in the welds where the diagonal and horizontal tubes meet at the reinforcement for mounting. These are very small horizontal cracks (hairline) that go about half the distance of the weld and it appears that many of the Thorps have them, this set of Brock gear have about 750 hours on them. I have the gear in the hanger and have the opportunity to due about anything to make repairs if needed. I have read all of the forum comments and it seems there in no consciences on the best repair or if any repair should be done. I am about 50% on TIG welding, 50% on stop drilling, 50% on not doing anything and 50% open to suggestions. If I TIG weld, I don't know where to find a heat treat oven that is big enough (I live close to Sacramento Ca.) and have been told that if the cracks are TIG welded, re heat treating should not be necessary. After the repair (if any repair is recommended) I need to do something with the appearance, really like powder coat but the gear needs to be heated to 200 + Deg. F for the powder coating, and am some what worried about annealing the gear and am wondering if the powder coat will give with the flexing of the gear. The other option is epoxy paint, cost is less and how many folks really look at the sparkle of your covered landing gear leg's. Just looking for input from those of you that have been there and done that.

Thanks Phil

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:34 pm 

I used a rattle can of white paint from the aviation dept at O'Reillly's Auto Parts to paint my gear. I'd stay away from powder coating as it tends to hide any cracks that may form. I had a small crack like yours and had it welded and put it back in service without any heat treat.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:22 am 

Phil,

This is one of the topics where everyone has an opinion but no one has a proven solid engineered solution.

I went down the same road as you. In the end, I went with Jtball's patch, TIG, no heat treat. (On the old forum.) In 10 years or 500 flying hours, I'll report back on it's effectiveness. In the meantime, I'm also buying a spare gear.

DW

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:01 am 

One can of Rustoleum Industrial spray paint . ??? Yes it is called Industrial Heavy Duty paint (Home Depot) . :o I used the same paint color on the engine mount . Paint gear to match the same color as your girlfriends eyes . ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm 

I didn't know that Rustoleum cam in bloodshot red (or laser daggers if she reads this)!

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:38 pm 

Hahahahaha. You are killin me Doug!
My vote is to leave it alone!
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:51 pm 

Both the spinner and prop are painted with Rustoleum rattle cans - no primer. Cleaned the prop blades with some acetone, and lightly sanded with 1200 grit (I think) emery. I figured if I didn't like it after it was done, it was a cheap and cheerful experiment. The spinner is still holding up well after 4 years. However, every spring during primping season, I dig the same rattle can out of the tool box, clean and sand JUST the leading edge of the prop and spray a couple of coats on the shiny side of the leading edge. Takes me a whole 30 minutes or so, including blanketing the plane. I've run through some minor rain, and overall, the rattle can stuff holds up better than expected. I figger the prop and spinner take slightly more abuse than a landing gear assembly.

The rest of the plane is Sherwin Williams Genesis 2 component urethane, though I had them mix up some enamel rattle can matching touch up paint.

Having said all that, if I were building and had my paint scheme picked out, I would powder coat the gear, and have a matching rattle can on hand for those wrench scrapes that no one but you will ever notice...:)

Attachments:
177036_10151198254467054_1322170311_o.jpg
177036_10151198254467054_1322170311_o.jpg [ 356.32 KiB | Viewed 15430 times ]

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)
 Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:17 pm 

DUDE ! Who is that hobo in your aircraft ? :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:41 pm 

A sad sight to be sure.....he's the airport lesbian.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 pm 

He is a fine looking Gal ! Must belong to NAG ? National Association of Gals ! BADA BING, BADA BOOM ! :D

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

1albee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:56 am 

Thanks All for the help, I am going with TIG welding and rattle can epoxy paint on the gear. Will keep the welding confined to the attach plates. Powder coated the engine mount black.
Phil

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:09 am 

Of any color, I would avoid black. As you cannot or it is the most difficult see any cracks in black. A light color of cracked will more easily show a crack as dirt and oil etc will accumulate and reveal the crack.

But black engine mounts do look nice and hides any said dirt and oil accumulation so remains looking great.

Just my thoughts.

Profile Personal album