Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm 

Should I be concerned about this? I removed my fairings and found this in the picture below. It is a rust color. I wiped it off and went flying without the gear leg fairings, and there it was again after 1.3 hours. Any ideas why this is appearing? It appears to accumulate at the junction where the different gear leg diameters meet. It appears on both gear legs.

Attachment:
gear.jpg
gear.jpg [ 751.75 KiB | Viewed 10315 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

Ryan: at 1st glance it looked like corrosion preventative compound seeping out but I do not believe it is common practice here.

Could you be getting water / moisture seeping in past the top welds on the top of your Landing gear that is leaking out?

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:52 pm 

Mine does this, too. The inner tube moves around within the outer tube. I have assumed it is just rust and condensation. No oil would withstand the heat treat process. Just metal on metal there. Any other opinions?

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:37 pm 

Dan might know the answer to this baileywick . ???

RB O:-)

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:12 pm 

My plane hasn't been wet in at least 3 years...not even a misting.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
Mine weeps a little from time to time , but the gear cover hides it. I guess if you can't see it, it's not a problem

dan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

Wow, never seen that before, don't know how that moisture would get there. It does look like moisture would be required to set up something like this the only thing I can think of would be condensation, one end of the gear leg under the hot cowl and the other end out in a freezing airstream , Honestly I really don't know I'm just takin a wild haired guess......Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm 

I did some research on my gear (Ken Knowles or Phil Tucker) and discovered it had "vent holes" to allow the gas to escape during the welding process . I can still see them today . They are very small , maybe #45 drill ? I also read somewhere that they should be filled with oil and caped after welding and heat treating . Maybe a very old NL is where I saw it? It may be possible that condensation is creeping in the holes and causing the "stains ?" Don't take me to the cleaners regarding the filling and capping ! ??? A syringe of "Tito" into the micro holes may do the same thing as oil ? ???

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 am 

Hmm, I'll have to look them over real good for these relief holes Rich. Never noticed them before, but its worth a look. Nobody seems too concerned with this issue, so I wont be either.

Profile Personal album  

Fredl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:00 am 

My gear appears to be a welded one piece, no leakers on mine.

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:38 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
I did some research on my gear (Ken Knowles or Phil Tucker) and discovered it had "vent holes" to allow the gas to escape during the welding process . I can still see them today . They are very small , maybe #45 drill ? I also read somewhere that they should be filled with oil and caped after welding and heat treating . Maybe a very old NL is where I saw it? It may be possible that condensation is creeping in the holes and causing the "stains ?" Don't take me to the cleaners regarding the filling and capping ! ??? A syringe of "Tito" into the micro holes may do the same thing as oil ? ???

I was led to believe that the holes were for adding linseed or Lion-oil to the inside of weldments like the landing gear & motor mount for corrosion protection. That's what Ken Brock told me. You squirt it in with a syringe, spread it all around, then drain out as much as possible. Finally you plug the holes with small drive screws. Two birds with one stone... pressure relief when welding & convenient holes for adding corrosion proofing. Anyway, plug the holes if you have them.
Paint your gear black - you won't see whatever that is, and you can't as easily see the cracks that may develop either! ;) BEEP!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE