Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Tires
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 pm 

I learned a thing or two about tires this week as I completed my condition inspection on N711SH. I noticed poor wear and flat spotting to the extent that I had to replace both mains and they only had about 150 hrs on them. The flat spots belong to me, as in, "Was that short landing roll-out really worth it?" The thing that really got my attention was the amount of overall wear. I had been using the Air Hawk brand 5:00 x 5 tires. A quick look confirmed they were rated for only 500#s. A quick mental calc turned on the light! My empty weight is 1020#, however, loaded for cross-country I can easily gross over 1600#. These tires won't cut it. I replaced them with Condors (Michelin) with significantly higher load limits. You need to be careful when selecting tires for the Thorp as some six ply (rated) tires will not fit some wheel pant setups. In any event, make sure you have enough tire for this really capable little bird.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Tires
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 pm 

Bob : Good info on the tires ! I also use the Air Hawk 500-5 tires , but went with the 6 ply rated at 1285 lbs. :o After 2 years and 130 hours of Carrier Landings they are wearing even and no flat spots ! POW !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:18 am 

As a data point I ordered my tires and tubes from Van's, had the best price for 5.00-5 tires and tubes I could find. They don't list the brand but my tires are Aero Classics by Specialty Tires of America, Type III 6 ply max 1285 lbs. Currently have 130 hours with no noticable tread wear and the little knobbys on the side walls are still there. :D One other note I rarely have to add air to my tires, don't know who made the tubes but they are holding up great.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm 

Bruce your tubes might be "Leak Guard" tubes ? FWIW I now get my tires and tubes from Dresser Aircraft Tire and Tube Company . They have an office in SOCAL and one in TN . Competitive prices on all brands and they offer Free Shipping on orders over $100 and they throw in a small bag of tire talc .

RB O0 POW !

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:40 pm 

Tire talc is merely baby powder, or for anyone who has ever played outdoor sports in southern US climates - Jock Joy.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 pm 

Sorry Dude...I don't need any Jock Joy . I have enough of that ! ??? Just tire talc in my tires . :P

RB O0 POW !

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 pm 

Rich,
Try it, you might like it ::) , the Jock Joy, here in the Northwest we don't need no Jock Joy, that's reserved for the bed room.

If I do have "Leak Guard" tubes I paid a whole lot less for them from Van's than what Dresser was quoting.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 am 

I also purchase my tires from Dresser. I purchased the retreads and they have worn very well. They were a little bit bigger and I had to fill a little from my wheel pant openings so they may not be for everyone. The last time I purchased the off brand leak guard tubes and I believe they work just as well as the official leak guard tubes and are about $10 cheaper.

Do any of you reuse the tubes despite the warning? I have purchased the tubes each time but they are almost as expensive as the tires. It would be really nice to reuse them at least once but not if there really is a propensity to wrinkle and cause a blowout... :(

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 am 

Sorry should have been "file" not "fill"

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm 

I reuse the tubes. Mine are Michelins.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 pm 

>:D There's a warning >:D

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
I first flew N30WW in '94 at that time I put new tubes and tires on. I pinched one about 5 years ago and bought a Michelin tube, and have rotated or changed out tires about once a year.
I would trade out a tube if it has signs of a crease, the use of talc is a must or whatever you deviates call it

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
I first flew N30WW in '94 at that time I put new tubes and tires on. I pinched one about 5 years ago and bought a Michelin tube, and have rotated or changed out tires about once a year.
I would trade out a tube if it has signs of a crease, the use of talc is a must or whatever you deviates call it

mattst18
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 am 

OK so maybe I am the only one that was take for a ride on this one. :-[ I thought it odd when I first read the warning. On the farm, back in the day, we patched and reused tubes all the time. I guess the thougth of having one of those tiny tires blowing out at 70mph made me error on the side of caution. :o On the bright side I now have two sets of "leak guard" tubes I can rotate into new tires the next time I need them. Although these retreads still look like new after three+ years, maybe I just need to fly more.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

I think the caution with regard to the tubes has to do with them "stretching/expanding" over time in the tire . When you put on a new tire and use the old tube there may be a problem with the "oversized tube ?" ??? Regarding patching a tube I can relay an experience I had with my new set of tires and tubes that I put on before my first flight in the AC. During installing the wheel pant I ran a drill bit thought the tire into the tube . Yep I should have known better and taken the tire off before drilling ! :P Now that the tube is flat I thought it would be no big deal to patch the tube as I had done many auto tube repairs as a teenager working in a service station . I cleaned and ruffed up the tube , applied the cement and put on the patch and let it cure . No way in Hell could that patch come off that new tube ! During my first few taxi tests , I took the runway and ran up the power and about 50 feet into the run the AC pulled to the right and went right wing low . HOLY BATMAN ! How could I have a flat tire ? Sure enough it was flat and the nice EAA folks at Brown Field towed me off and I pulled the tire only to find that tire patch had come off !

I can just imagine how much of a pain it would have been to control the AC at TO or landing speeds with a flat ! My flat probably took place at about 15mph . I no longer patch AC tubes . ;)

RB O0 POW !

Profile Personal album