Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Fitting the Canopy
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 am 

Moving this thread from the flap discussion. Bob, You start with the windshield because it is a fixed slope. BTW, if your windshield frame is not 3/4" taller than the original plans, shim it so it is. Once the roll bar/windshield frame is set, put the windshield glass in and trim it. My aft trim line is where the glass intersects a plane described by the aft side of the roll bar. The slope of the windshield determines the angle the front part of the canopy glass needs to have to make a smooth transition. The back of the canopy needs to intersect the back of the deck. Once you get that cut and fit, then you shim/modify the canopy frame to hold the canopy glass there. Yes, it is tedious process. Just depends on how nice you want your canopy to fit.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
 Post subject: Re: Fitting the Canopy
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 am 

Sorry about getting the canopy discussion started on the wing thread. I was expecting the administrator to move it!

Anyway, this is the first I've heard about raising the windshield frame. Is there a new drawing that replaces the original that I should have, or is this something that just sort of evolved? Do you mean shim at the bottom of the roll bar, or along the top where the plexi meets? If I shim the top, I believe it will be unsightly, and I will not be happy with it from a cosmetic standpoint. Mayhap I should modify it? I have a friend who is a master welder who does steel, aluminum, even titanium. It would be easy enough to modify if I had a drawing.

Bob, I don't suppose you would like to visit New Jersey for a few months this Summer? Since the daughters are both married, we have lots of extra space. And the Airmaster would love to have company in the hangar!

Bob H.

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am 
Most put a 3/4 x 3/4" block on the upper longeron where the roll bar bolts. This was done on most Thorps both T and S-18

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:15 pm 

Bob H.,
I built my roll bar to plans (except it's aluminum), and mounted it like that... no 3/4" shimming. An extra 3/4" would be nice, but I've been happy with it, as is, for a long time... about 27 years. I honestly believe that the majority of T-18s built do not have that extra height - with all respect to Bill W., I could be wrong. The 4 that I know about in this area are all standard height. Again, the extra height is a good idea. After mounting & trimming the windshield, I built the canopy frame to fit - I did have to cut and adjust the height of the bow when it was all said & done. As has been described, yes - you can drape the canopy over the frame and adjust the position to locate some initial trim lines. For some reason it wasn't a real difficult job... I got lucky.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:03 pm 

This forum, much like the experimental airplane it supports, is do it yourself. It is only moderated when it gets out of hand.

If your roll bar measures 22" up the back leg to the extended line of the flat part of the top, it is an extended roll bar. The project plane I'm working on fits this dimension. My flying Thorp has a 3/4" block of micarta and extended mounting bolts at the base where it attaches to the BL 42 longeron.

I am visiting Scotch Plains, NJ. in mid June. Where is your project located?

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

rhartmaier
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:42 pm 

Bob,

I am between Jamesburg and Englishtown. About 5 miles from Old Bridge, 3N6. I am cleaning up the hangar and perhaps will move some completed parts over to the airport soon, but as of now all parts are at home. June is the busiest month of the Summer for me. Second Saturday is the Barnstormer's air show at the Golden Age Air Museum(8N1) that I am involved in. The 17th is the AAA Potomac Chapter Fly-In at Massey, MD(MD1) that I hope to take the Airmaster to, and then 20th to 24th is Sentimental Journey at Lock Haven. The PA-12 likes to visit there once a year. I also work at a telephone helpline for military veterans each Tuesday at Rutgers. When you firm up your plans send a PM. Plenty of space under the Airmaster wing for a Thorp. MMU would be closest to Scotch Plains, but they tend to be very expensive.

I'm going out to the workshop to measure my windshield frame now. Bob Hartmaier