Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

cw21f
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:22 am 

Is there any difference in the size of a Thorp canopy, whether it is to be fitted to a standard T-18, or the 2" wider fuselage T-18W/S-18? I don't recall ever having read anyone's installation explanations that indicated there was a dimensional difference (wider or taller) between fitting a Thorp canopy on a standard or wide fuselage model. Thank you.

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:38 am 
Yes, one size fits all. Airplane Plastics make the bubble with enough material to fit either frame. Just trim a little more off for the T-18

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 am 

Well, not exactly. Airplane Plaztics has a T18 mold that they have extended so you can stretch the flashing over an S. Great people. Aircraft Windshields in LA has an S18 mold, made exclusively for the S18. Right now, it's more expensive than Airplane Plastics. I'm talking to them about that. So if you have an S, either SHOULD work.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:40 pm 

I got my S canopy and windshield from AP . Cubes is probably right with regard to "stretching it" as I had no room for error when it can to trimming the lower sides of the canopy glass , in fact toward the front lower edge I had to trim zero in order to have adequate hole to edge distance . The windshield was no problem as there was more than enough glass to trim and fit . :o

I did not know that AP did not have a dedicated S mold ? ???

RB :P

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:18 pm 

Rich, I believe you got your canopy from the folks in LA. They leave NO room for error. AP in Tipp City Ohio leaves a bunch of flashing. I think I had 8 to 10 inches extra when I rebuilt the Tigress years ago.
To answer the original question, yes there are dimensional differences. The S is 2 inches wider at the shoulder. The rollover bar is not quite two inches wider, but it is 3/4 of an inch taller. As I said tho, the bottom line is that either manufacturer should work for an S. If you have a T, go with Airplane Plastics in Ohio.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:58 pm 

Nope...in fact I posted an almost identical post on 05/23/2010 regarding the lack of material on the bottom of the canopy and the canopy came from AP . Subject: "Two different T-18 fuselage sizes . "

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:18 pm 
I have been to Jeff's shop several times and watched him make canopies for the T18, S18, Mustang, RV series and all of them are pulled from the same mold.