Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Thorp Poll OSH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 pm 

Pretty low numbers for those flying in ? ??? I was expecting something in the 30's ? :o

RB O0 WHAT !

Profile Personal album  

Lou
 Post subject: Re: Thorp Poll OSH
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

I've never been able vote on any of those polls, so you can add one.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

Lou : You need a #2 pencil to vote !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 am 

Add one for me. I also cannot vote on the poll. Didn't know there was a poll untill this string.

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am 

Hi Lee,

When I try to login to the the t18.net home page to vote on the poll I get this error message. "The member ‘mattst18’ does not exist." But I have no problem loging on to the Board.

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 am 

I have an additional Thorp Poll OSH question.

How many of the "Bringing my Thorp" group are planning on camping on the grounds?

I am pretty sure of the following:

Bernie Fried and his wife
David Read and his wife
Lee Walton
Matt Smith (me)

Any one else

John Evens?

One of the reasons I am asking is I have meetings up there on the 24th and 25th so I thought maybe I could stake out a section for us to camp together. Last year Fried, Read and Walton camped on the south edge of the Vintage camping is that where we want to shoot for this year? Too bad they don't have a designated area closer to the show plane area. I assume they will put us and the Tailwind planes close to the hombuilders headquarters? Too bad they don't have a designated camping area closer to the show plane area. Like somewhere around where the sweet corn was last year? Except there are no trees there. Just like airplanes everything is a compromise.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Matt,
Your username on the main site is "Matthew Smith"

Also, for everyone, logging in is not nessessary to vote in a poll.

Lee

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:10 am 

Thanks Lee, I did have to login to vote. I was just seeing the results and the vote button did not do anything.

I have now voted so do not add one for me. :)

Also Lee the link on the home page for the forum is still the old site. Just thought you would want to know.

Hey, I am a full member now. 8)

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Matt! I'll get it taken care of.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

I really wasn't aware of the poll either... I'll check it out now. Matt - I'll be staying at the dorms this year. Quite a few of us do that (Gary Green, Gary Cotner, etc.). I camped with the T-18 at the "Home-built Camping Area" a couple of years ago, but felt guilty the entire time for not being with the rest of the Thorps on the flightline (I've been trying to give guys who didn't park with the group a hard time for years). 8) The HBC area is west of where the vast horde of RVs park, and where they have the corn you mentioned. A lot of my friends with other types park & camp there every year, as well as a couple of Thorps once in awhile.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm really hoping that those of us that bring our airplanes to Oshkosh this year will park theire airplanes on the flightline, camping or not. For the past several years I've camped with the Read's in Camp Scholler. There's really no reason to camp in the Homebuilt Camping area, as John mentioned they put you way in back behind the RV's and besides a shower house there's really nothing back there. In contrast Camp Scholler becomes it's own zip code during the convention, personally I find the campground a good percentage of the fun of the week. That being said by the end of the week I'm ready for a soft bed.

So to sum it up, it's a big year! Please park your Thorp on the line ... we need the numbers out there!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 pm 

Hi John,

Yes John that is the area I was talking about. I just was saying it is too bad we can't camp there as a group (without an airplane) if we park our Thorp up on the flight line. It would be closer to our planes and to most of the stuff. It was just a thought.

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm 

Hi Lee,

Didn't you guys camp in the same general vicinity as Bernie did last year? I guess I didn't think of that as part of Camp Scholler, (wrong side of the fence/road) I thought of it as part of the Vintage Airplane Camping area, which the Thorp as a design would qualify for. ;D

Or do the Read's also take a camper?

I camped in Paul’s Park last year and it was nice and shaded, but the guy I camped with said he missed camping out with the planes where you could see what is going on. I have only camped in Camp Scholler so I have nothing to compare.

Anyway, since I am going to be up there so early I am just offering to try and stake out an area where some of us could camp together. As long as I know where and how many by the 22nd.

If it is in the actual Camp Scholler that probably won’t work because we would have to pay for the extra nights of camping.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Matt,
You're correct we camped near Bernie last year in Vintage Camping, and yes I guess that's not actually considered Camp Scholler. I really don't see the point in camping with our airplanes .. I can see the point if we flew larger airplanes that may offer shelter, storage etc ... but Thorps belong on the flight line. The Read's do not bring a camper, one year Scott Stine rented a camper and had it staged there when we arrived but that was an exception.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

thorpdrvr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 pm 

Hi Matt,

My wife and I have been camping on the west end of the tree row in vintage camping for the last ten years. We camp just inside of the security fence near the security gate for easy exit of secure area. If you are going early, we would certainly appreciate having a nice area staked out. Each year we see about the same people and even though we get there on Saturday, the best spots are already taken. Here, unlike Camp Scholler, you can rope off spots for numerous tents without having to pay a daily charge. We try to find a spot with morning and afternoon shade and avoid low spots as it never fails to downpour at least a couple times during the week. By the way, if you plan on staking out a spot, (per my wife's condition of attending OSH for week) the tent is "over gross" big!

For others that might be interested, this area is not as far away as Camp Sholler and not too far to walk to catch trams. Also, showers and food within about a blocks walk. Close enough to flight line to watch afternoon airshow from campsite while taking a break for a cold one. It would be fun to have more Thorp folks camping here. It is just south of Theater in the Woods.

We plan on having a rental car for the week, so all are welcome on various excursions for shopping or eating in the evenings.

See you up there Matt,

Bernie Fried
N18XS

Profile Personal album