Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

majurpain
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm 

Finally saw the big 'New Topic' button weeks after Cubes suggested I move it to its own place. Sorry, I tend be be all thrust, little vector... :o

We ARE still on for formation training in SLC- specifically U42 -South Valley Regional Airport. Free hangarage has been offered to participants through the generosity of Leading Edge Aviation.

Arrivals invited Friday the 3rd. I hope we get to do a little barby at my home that evening. Have a few beds available in my palatial imitation Salt Lake starter home, you can share rides with me or rent a car. Check with Frasier to see how things are looking for bunking at his place. Maybe we can do some warm up flying that afternoon, it doesn't get dark til 8 ish this time of year.

Saturday the 4th lets train. I believe Cubes is the man with the plan for ground school and syllabus stuff. Cubes, let me know what you need from me as far as printing/copying.... Depending on interest levels, I can try to get some food delivered lunch-wise, then more flying. Check rides maybe. IF competence levels and instructors confidence levels dictate.

Sunday the 5th maybe we can get one more flight/check ride in. Further flying depending on interest.

Could all interested please RSVP here so I know how many to expect? You can also email me at majurpain@yahoo.com My cell is (717) 421-7379.

I've never hosted anything like this so don't expect much other than enthusiasm from me, but I generally learn pretty quickly, so things may improve as the weekend progresses. If you need hotel info, car info, let me know, will get it out there. As far as accommodations for Americans with disabilities ... There will be at least one RV with the tail wheel on the wrong end of the airplane attending. Hoopes... That's you. Others by request. I think this is gonna be pretty small, we may be able to work up to two four ships. Unless Cubes tells me differently. Again, apologies for not getting more out front with this weeks ago, my schedule has been pretty crammed. Yes, that IS an excuse.

Cubes, what can I do to help ?

Cheers!

-Homey

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:47 pm 

As usual I can't read directions . I'll be there on Friday around 1200 WX permitting . Billeting ? If there is a soft place at either house I'll take the plunge . If not I can stay at the Roach Motel (Motel 6) or the Women's Prison . Just let me know so I can talk to the Warden at either location . C:-) Departing Sunday A.M. ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

majurpain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am 

So, I know RB is coming.
Expecting Cubes plus... (I'd have a few other names to check with but I had to get a new phone last week- all my old txts vanished)
Frasier, too.
Todd Hoopes in his RV-6A is most likely going to be here.
Others?

There's a Salt Lake Bees AAA Baseball game Saturday night May 4th, fireworks afterwards. Interest in that?

-Homey (717) 421-7379

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 pm 

Well, I would like to do this, however my annual is due as well as my medical and by- annual check ride, good grief. And I’m not getting to it cuz work is killing me…BUT if I can find a way.

Lou

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm 

Not a big B Ball fan . ??? BBQ...yes . Laugh , scratch and tell lies over a cold one...yes . :P Watch Star Trek on Saturday nite on Me TV...yes . :D I live a simple life ! :-*

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm 

I'm in. Spanky is out. I think Ginsu is coming over from Denver. Not sure the check airman can make it. He said is was is kids birthday and to call when things firmed up.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 pm 

I plan to be overhead VGT around 1000 hours on Friday . Fuel stop at 67L (Mesquite) . Arriving U-42 around 1230 to a well deserved welcoming committee ! ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

majurpain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 pm 

Copy so:
Fraser
Cubes -bunking with Fraser
RB -you're stuck with me, sorry!
Ginsu -I've got at least a pretty good aerobed or couch for you if you'd like. Maybe a bedroom. Anyway, plenty of space, sheets and towels.
Todd Hoopes -local
Possible Check airman
Me
For cars, I've got a six seat Trailblazer and possibly my Accord- tbd. I believe Fraser will be able to help out with his ride, too.
Hangar will be available Gratis thanks to Leading Edge Aviation. Not sure yet, but I think we'll be able to get the locals price for gas, too.
Rich, I'll be around to meet you at U42 1230 ish (MDT) Friday or whenever you say. Cubes, let me know when you're thinking of arriving, Fraser said something about Thursday? Ginsu, check in?
Let me know what else you need...

Cheers!

-Homey
(717) 421-7379

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 pm 

So no one from central California? Tony? Dave?
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 am 

You Guys will be burnin fuel before I could get there late Sat afternoon Cubes, the Friday arrival events are just impossible for me. Just seems weekends are not long enough anymore.....you guys have fun and I know you all will be safe........Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 am 

DOH ! Forgot about the time zone change . Arriving approx. 1330 MDT . I guess I'll park near Leading Edge Aviation ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

majurpain
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am 

1330 ish. no worries. Rich, I'll do my best to be up on radio when you get in, but yup, Leading Edge is the place.

A few details...

It's easy to arrive VFR without having to talk to SLC approach or center if you take a good close look at the Class B chart and stay below it. Approach is also pretty easy to work with. The pattern at U42 is always on the West side of the runway. (16-34). Enter the pattern at 5500' (base of Class B is at 6000) and make a standard entry or if you prefer, short initial to the overhead (not sure that it's officially approved to do that but no one has had any issues with it when we've done it...). Big thing is that the floor of the Class B airspace drops to the surface just about 3 miles North of the North end of the runway.
Lots of helicopter training and also Army National Guard flying. Also the occasional knucklehead who hogs the runway for ka-fricking-ever. Don't be completely surprised if you end up going around for him. The drivers here are like that, too.
The parallel taxiway closest to the runway is often used by light helos, so keep an eye out for them as you cross it and try to use the more western parallel for your taxi in.
If this sounds like a lot, don't sweat it. I didn't know any of it when I first started flying here last year and didn't have any issues (Fraser is rolling his eyes at this... "Oh, REALly..."). But knowing it might make you more comfortable with the arrival. Whatev.

Any other players interested?

Cheers!

Homey
(717) 421-7379

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am 

Rich - if no red carpet, do not taxi up to the self serve fuel pumps and start sucking - the discount fuel is out of the bowser. Just taxi up to Leading Edge, get out, look pretty and tell them you are the Imperial Grand Poobha Brazell and are duly here for an audience with President Monson. I won't be there until 3 or 4 ish unless I can pull clandestine duty.
Homey is right - the way in is pretty easy - just note traffic is always to west - every week some dink patterns to the east - the R-22 mosquitos in the pattern generally stay to the parallel taxiway, so usually no probs - when in doubt, sing out and tell the rotor head mosquitos to go suck someone.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 am 

Sounds good . I'll do my homework before I leave to keep Mr. Fed off my back . Discount fuel ? I was going to suck it out of your tank ! ::) My Motto..."Free is always better than Cheap ! ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm 

BTW Homey , if I gets an Aero Bed it suits me just fine . ;) I slept on one in PHL for 4 years at my Crash Pad as an under paid First Officer . It is actually very comfortable ! :) I set it on a bed of pine needles and used possum skins that I got while based at CLT to use as blankets ! :o

RB O0

Profile Personal album