Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Gents,
I've talked to some of the folks at EAA, so far the response has been "just tell us what you guys want to do and we'll see what we can and what we cannot". The general tone has been "dont hold back", so with that being said let's start getting creative ... no sarcstic remarks here please ... this is serious business ;).

One other note; the Wittman Tailwind group wil be celebrating their 60th this year along with our 50th with that being said the thought at this point is to combine forces and perhaps make next year a celebration of the two remaining "relevant" high performance classic homebuilt airplanes . I personally like this approach as neither group has big numbers ... but combined we could easily make our mark.

I've also been told not to race a clean Tailwind as they will leave us in the dust, but then again .. our airplanes fly a lot better!!

Start hitting me with suggestions please!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

davem
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:22 pm 

I have to take a bit of friendly issue with the statement "our airplanes fly a lot better". Having owned both a Tailwind and a Thorp (currently the Thorp), I will emphatically disagree that the Thorp flies better. It does have some other better qualities IMHO, and does fly quite well, but not "better". And I am very familiar with Red Hamilton's Tailwind, which with an O-320, has set a record speed of 236 MPH in the Sport Racing Associations races this year (that is an average speed over a 200+/- race course). This is faster than all RV's, except for a couple of 6 cylinder Rockets, which have lots more HP. It is considerably faster than any Thorp, which there hasn't been one in these races since 2009 that I can find record of. Admittedly, Red's Tailwind is exceptional and he spends a lot of effort making it go fast. But the results are telling.....

to the idea of combining celebrations--I would wholeheartedly agree--neither group has a big presence at Oshkosh. Thorps tend to be a slightly larger group. Tailwinds (due to Jim Clement I think) get the slightly better parking spot.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I did not say faster I said better .. And yes it was a joke. Back to the Oshkosh talk.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

smokyray
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:10 pm 

Great idea Lee,
I too have Tailwind time along with T-18 and more recent RV time. I shared a hangar with a 90HP non-electric W-8 alongside my T-Craft and flew it regularly back in the early 90's. Even with caked mud, cheap fairings and cornstalks hanging off it's 700lb airframe it easily cruised at 150 mph on 90HP. One of my fondest memories of Steve Wittman was watching him use a sharpie to autograph all the Tailwinds in attendance at SNF 92', including my hangar mates.
Like others in the group, I'm relatively spoiled to compare every airplane to a "past fighter". However comma, each of the aforementioned sport planes has advantages and disadvantages. For a anyone on a budget, the Tailwind is still hard to beat across the board for bang/buck ratio. It's at home on grass or pavement and can still be built for under $10K with proper scrounging. Like the Thorp, both were feats of home spun genius in the spirit of the Brothers Wright at a level of affordability unseen then, or now. They were outperforming factory airplanes many years before the RV1 ever took flight.

The T-18 and Tailwind still represent what is right and achievable (and affordable) in Sport Aviation.
OSH 2013 will be exemplary, I for one, can't wait.

V/R
Smokey

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:27 pm 

I

Profile Personal album  

N89BJ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:39 pm 
Lou wrote:
I think combining with the tailwinds is a fine idea. Sounds like I need to get a ride in one.

Lou,
A good guy by the name of Bill Cheeseman at KREI has a nice one you could at least take a look at. He did something quite unique -- set his Tailwind up so he can attach a small engine to it and drive it on the street. He's also got an RV8 and a Grumman Tiger.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm 

Lou : Right now I plan to go. Fly up to KLAS and tanker off of Cubes...if he can fly straight and level so I can plug ! ;D Then go to KSLC for RON ? Pick up Fraser ? Not sure how many other West Coast guys plan to attend OSH 2013 ? It's just now a big plan. My main concern is lodging with a hot shower and AC ! :o

RB

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am 

Hey Rich if you line up a shower and A/C I'm sticking close to you. I know Brent and Chris from Corrona are working on having two Thorps for OSH.

Profile Personal album  

smokyray
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm 

Lou wrote:
I think combining with the tailwinds is a fine idea. Sounds like I need to get a ride in one.

Lou, here's the best I can do for now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibb3n4zSXu4

Smokey

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm 

Lou : Not that close ! Fraser likes to bunk close, talk to him ! I guess the place to stay is the University ? Probably need to make that reservation NOW ! How about some advice from the Veretans that have been at OSH before. I could use a little help on the lodging issue. Wet soggy ground, a tarp and a sleeping bag are not part of my POD !

RB

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm 

Ask for Taylor Hall. A/C and not too far from the bus stop. Most expensive, tho.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Fla-T18
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm 

nice video Smokey!

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Bob beat me to it....Taylor Hall is Air Conditioned. I think the rooms are going up to $110 per night. The other non AC goes for $85 ?? per night. We have stayed in the NON AC rooms and bought a fan from Wallyworld. Generally there is a waiting list for dorm rooms, so I suggest you get on their waiting list. Rooms have two bunkbeds, shower etc down the hall. Towels, wash cloth, soap furnished. There is a refrig and micowave in the rooms. There is transportation to and from the airport although a car is a must if you want to enjoy some of the local foods. The dorms do have a "commons" that serve breakfast and dinner. Call EAA housing and see what is avaiable as locals rent there homes or spare rooms. We have stayed in private homes and it worked out great.
My motto is " Animals sleep on the ground" Warning it can and does get hot in Wisconsin.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm 

Already checked Taylor Hall for the AC rooms...the say SOLD OUT for 2013 ! BOOM !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:44 am 
Rich, there was a time the only way you could get a room was to inherit the room, it's getting better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next