Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

denndowning
 Post subject: Prop Spinner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:01 am 

My prop spinner has a crack and needs to be replaced. It's an aluminum spinner on a Hartzell constant speed, which is on an IO360. It looks like the Hartzell C1904-3 Propeller Spinner Dome would do the trick, but I don't really want to spend $600 for a certified spinner. Does anyone know of any other source for a spinner that would fit?

leewwalton
 Post subject: Re: Prop Spinner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I just put a Commanche spinner and back plate on mine (Single Engine not Twin). I like it a lot, built in front bulkhead and the profile is very close to the standard Thorp Spinner.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 am 

I have spinners in stock.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

denndowning
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:34 pm 

Cubes - Someone just "gave" me a Van's constant speed spinner, so I'm going to see if I can get it to work on the Thorp. If it doesn't work out, I'll be getting back with you to order one. Thanks. Dennis

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 pm 

I have an ACS spinner that developed a crack on the large radius cutout portion of the spinner . An A&P knew an "aerospace welder" that specialized in aluminum welding (also hot sections on jet engines) and welded the crack . ::) When he was done you could not even tell there was a crack looking at the outside of the spinner . It was blended so well . You could see a small trace of the weld bead on the inside, but it too was smoothed out nicely . Have about 50 hours on it now and no evidence of further cracking . I did buy another ACS spinner and increased the size of the radius cutout and hopefully that will curtail any future cracks ? ???

RB O0
BaBaLoo

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 am 

I talked to Bev Giffin today, the widow of T-18 builder Walt Giffin who many of us on this list knew and considered a good friend. Walt died in an auto accident about 3 years ago, and Bev has been going through his things to try to try to find homes for the things that are unimportant to her. She came across 3 aluminum T-18 spinners in the attic that appear in excellent shape. I believe that they are original Ken Brock manufactured spinners that Walt had purchased and used on several props that he had for his T-18. They are all polished and have cutouts for those props (probably all Pacesetter wood propellers), and were carefully stored away in cardboard boxes by Walt. The boxes were marked '68 x 69 x 20', '68 x 63 x10', and '68 x 68'. I'm not sure what the third number on the first 2 refers to. I believe that they could be used nicely by someone, even if the cutouts didn't match another propeller, as I've seen very nicely done filler pieces installed on other spinners when prop types were changed and the spinner retained and re-used. These spinners by Brock were considered the "standard" and the best by many builders for many years. If anyone is interested in making Bev an offer for one or all of them, please send me a private message on this forum with your email address and/or your phone number and I will get it to Bev. Below is a picture of one of the spinners, that Bev sent to me.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:59 am 

Guys,

I used the spinner from Cubes and am really happy with it. The runout is less than .005".

Definitely a quality spinner and cheap as well.

Regards,

Jim

stevehawley
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm 

I bought one of the carbon fiber ones that Lee makes and sells and have been very happy with it. It has been on for about three years and has never given any problems at all.
Steve Hawley