Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

JKC
 Post subject: T-18 project for sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm 

Hi all,

After the last move and my current job status (to busy to breathe), I've decided I might need to let my T-18 project go. I wanted to offer it to you folks first.

Through the past five years of work and collection, I've acquired enough material to complete the entire plane (standard T-18) with enough additional pieces to start a second project. I have two full sets of fittings, a full set of standard wing ribs, two main spars (and extrusions for a third) one set of outer spars, a complete horizontal stab spar, all of the extrusions (and the list goes on)

Work completed: fuselage panels are cut, rudder is cut, ailerons partially completed. Landing gear complete, fuel tank complete (with sending unit), dynafocal mount for 320.

Includes a full set of plans for both the T and S variant, original news letters. So complete kit ++: Let's say $8k (I'll entertain reasonable offers, feel free to contact me).

I'm located in the Dayton Ohio area, and currently have the project loaded on a trailer -- I would consider delivery as far as Texas for cost of fuel.

I'm going to go after a completed aircraft, and revisit building when I'm settled in a few years. Again, email me if interested, I will be listing on Barnstormers in a week or so.

JC

JKC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:02 pm 

After talking with a couple of folks, here are a couple of ideas -- $6,000 for everything; I will consider selling one of the main/outer spar sets separately, as they are orphans from a separate project.

OR: Here's an alternate idea; anyone in the Dayton, OH area looking for a project? I'll provide materials and tools and have about 20 months in the area (just not a lot of spare time)!!

Some more specifics: In addition two the previously mentioned items (might repeat a couple of things) 4 full sheets of .020 (2 received crate damage), 4 full sheets of .035, 1.5-2 sheets of .032, various pieces going up to .060 in various sizes. A complete set of extrusions (upper and lower caps) and webbing for a scratch-built spar, complete set of out spar angle extrusions. Full set of control hardware. Two full sets (or very close to two) of fittings. The wing ribs are all hydroformed, and includes a set of four full-nosed ribs, if you wished to wet a couple of cells in the outer wings. Fiberglass cowl, wing and elevator tips, and spinner. Also includes a full set of rivets; I suspect those would need to be heat-treated to soften them, though I never had a problem driving them.

And a little more on why I'm selling: My father and I purchased the project; when he passed away I just couldn't get back to work on it until very recently. I have since moved, continue to get busier in my job, and I'm afraid it's going to waste-away before I can get back to finish it (which will be years and several moves down the road); constant moving and time are not my friends.

jim borg
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 am 

I would be interested in the wing spar set.

Jim Borg
email n180rg@msn.com
phone (651) 213 6605

Profile Personal album  

jim borg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:34 pm 

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see your reply on the main forum page and just recently found my way to it. I have a few questions.

(1) are the extrusions in the raw (that is not cut to the plan dimensions)?
(2) are there any other parts included? I gather from your post that it includes upper and lower cap extrusions for the center wing and outer wing.
(3) Where are you located? I am in the Minneapolis area.

Still trying to decide if I want to build a new wing. I have been flying my thorp for close to 30 years but thinking of going to the sunderland airfoil.

Thanks,Jim

Profile Personal album  

JKC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 am 

For the raw spar: I have the extrusions to fab a full-length T-18 wing, as well as the sheet metal for the webbing. I don't think I have a complete set of extrusions to fab a completely new set of outer spars (but that's a lot easier to come by). I Should also have enough fittings, specifically the inner-outer connection plates.

jim borg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm 

After careful thought I've decided not to build a new wing at this time. I'm sure there are buyers out there that are interested.

Thanks for your patients.

Jim

Profile Personal album  

150Cessna
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:57 pm 

have you still got your T18 project ken welch