Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Catto Prop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:31 pm 

Hey guys,
Sing out if you have a Catto prop I’d like to know if it is 2 or 3 blade. Do you like it? What kind of speed are we talking about? How about climb? Does it cool the cylinders well?
I have a 160hp O320.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

chuck
 Post subject: Re: Catto Prop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 am 

Hello Cubes, thanks for the phone text.

I've had a three blade Catto on my Thorp with IO-320 for about 10 years now and have been completely happy with it. There was some consternation from a few, at the time, regarding putting a three blade on a 4 cylinder due to the "impulse cycle" as I recall.

I initially hadn't done my due diligence and hung a new metal Sensenich. Although it performed ok, I was flying out of a 1600' grass strip and didn't like having my pilots seat disappearing every time I took off! (tree's both ends). So, I started looking for a prop with a smaller diameter and better takeoff performance, hence the three blade. I spoke with Craig Catto (at the time) and he will pitch the prop to whatever parameters you're looking for and can even re-pitch if you don't like the outcome. I took about twenty pounds off the nose, better take off, a little better cruise and much smoooother. Oh and did I mention that it looks sexy!

With all that said, I now fly off of a paved strip and would probably go with a two blade Catto if I had to re-prop. Mine may be slightly over pitched, I only get about 2200 static, could probably re-pitch for even better takeoff. I cruise about 172 MPH 2400 rpm. For comparison purposes I only have the Sensenich and although I don't remember the specific numbers, I just know the Catto was an improvement for the environment in which I was flying.

I have an engine monitor and I do have to keep my "I" on #3 CHT, can start hitting 400 on warm days.

I hope this helps and all is well in the Thorp community.... great bunch.

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

speedbird1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm 

Cubes,

As you know I have a Catto on N827DD but no experience with it. However it saves 60lbs once the Constant Speed metal prop and governor was removed and the Catto fitted.
Speedbird 1

speedbird1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:22 pm 

In my search for information on the Catto prop' I spoke with Chuck in Maine and heard how well he had got on with his Catto for many years and I also spoke with Bill Morse (N1014Z) in Colorado Springs and had good reports from him.
Bill is selling his Thorp due to hangar rents going through the roof if anyone is looking for a nice one.
Speedbird 1.