Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Brent Schultz
 Post subject: stick grips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:21 pm 

I am putting in electic trim and electric flaps on my new T-18. I am assuming most of these new systems are controlled through switches on the stick grip. What is the preferred grip you all.
Should these switches for the trim and flaps be on the stick or somewhere else

Brent Schultz
N6CM

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Re: stick grips
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

I like Ray Allen grips.

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 pm 

Put the flap switch away from the stick and throttle. The last thing you need to do is deploy the flaps inadvertantly.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm 

Speaking of Ray Allen stick grips, I just replaced mine with the Infinity Grips. The Ray Allen grips worked as advertised, but I was inadvertentaly hitting the flush trim buttons on top of the grip. If The stick were a little taller (my mistake cutting it a litle too short) they would have worked out OK. Rather than bend new sticks and getting them powder coated I went with the Infinity grips (they are also located at KSEE, which is where I fly out of). Nice having the factory close for parts and advise. Although I did have a chance to visit the Ray Allen shop in Vista, CA recently to view their operation. A class act as is the Infinity outfit.

I like the Infinity grips because they feel like the A-4/T-28 grips I used. They have a "coolie hat" switch for the trim and a separate switch for the electric flaps (probably next year) and a push/squeeze button for PTT, Freq. flip/flop and AP disc/CWS. The switches are placed so that you can not hit one unless you intend to pull that trigger. It also has a spare switch should I decide to install a bomb rack ! The grip is taller than the Ray Allen and it feels just right !

I have the Ray Allen G-205 and G-207 grips that I would like to sell. The Co-pilot grip has never been used in the right seat ! The Captains grip (G-207) looks new also. They are pre-wired (if you buy them new you have to wire them up) and each wire is marked as to function. They work as advertised. I have some spare decals for the face plate, but you can order an extra set (as well as spare parts if and when you need them) from Ray Allen.

Bought the grips from Spruce.

G-205 goes for $109.85. It has the PTT and the four trim switches on top.
G-207 goes for $169.95. It has the PTT, four trim switches and (2) mom contact switches on top you can use for Ident./AP/Freq. flip-flop, etc.

$110.00 for both and I pay the shipping. They are boxed up and ready for the mail. If you don't like them return them (you pay the return shipping + insurance) and I'll refund the $$$. Within a reasonable amount of time !

RB
rx115@cox.net

Profile Personal album  

chuck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:55 am 

Rich,

I PM'd

Chuck

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:23 pm 

Chuck has indicated he wants the grips. I did leave out some info about the grips. In order to use both the pilot AND co-pilot trim switches you will need to install a deck relay (buy from Ray Allen or Spruce) for each servo installed (pitch/roll) OR a 4PDT transfer switch. The relays allow you to use the trim for both sticks w/o having to transfer control (with the switch). I installed the relays and need to keep them for the new install.

RB

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

The stick grips are on their way to a new home. May they live long and prosper. In other words...SOLD.

RB

Profile Personal album