Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rooikat
 Post subject: Sunderland S18 # 1514
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:13 pm 

Hi All

Thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself. I am from South Africa, based in a Alberton, a small town on the outskirts of Johannesburg. Closest airfield is called Panorama, which is about 6km or 10 minute drive from my home. It has a grass runway. Location off Apple Maps: -26.325640, 28.067866. The plan is to start with my PPL at this airport towards the end of the year. The school has a Sling for this purpose.

It all started with a colleague / friend inviting me for a flight in his Raven earlier in the year. I really enjoyed it and since went for more flights with him. I started looking into purchasing a plane and canme across a Thorp T18. For some reason I could not get the plane out of my mind and on further investigation came across Thorp Central. I staterd communicated with Cubes on the 25th of March 2016.

Due to the logistical complexities (read cost) of staying in South Africa, i decided to rather purchase plans than a kit. Incleing insurances etc, shipping cost for the plans would have resulted in doubling the cost of plans. Luckily i had a friend coming throught to SA, and arrangemenets finally took shape. I received my plans on 15 June 2016, after they left Cubes on 28 May 2016. Cubes, thanks for the patience, all the communication and effort in getting the plans to me.

Due to studies, I could not start interogating the plans immediately. I started last night and am very excited. The idea is to take the remainder of this year for planning, obtaining material, researching options, obtaining tools and consumables etc, then start building in January 2017.

Imhave been in a managerial role for many years, and am looking forward to apply some of my technical skills again.

I am sure I will have many questions, and from what I have seen on the forum, there is a lot of knowledge here. I am new to aviation, so will surely have lots of questions in this regard.

All the best
Ruben

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:15 pm 

Glad we could finally make it happen Ruben. Once again, welcome!
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rooikat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:04 am 

Thanks Cubes

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:45 pm 

Ruben : It can be a long road to build and complete ANY aircraft , but the T-18 group can provide the much needed technical help and morale support to complete your project . ;D

RB O0
BaBaLu

Profile Personal album  

Rooikat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:07 pm 

Thanks RB, i am sure I'll need that support.

At this point, trying to get the knowledge levels up...

Cheers
R

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:17 pm 

As Rich said, building is a long road. You must break it down into a group of small, manageable tasks.
Also, you need to enjoy the process if you expect to complete it.
Try to get involved with other builders/fliers in your area, camaraderie helps a lot.

I Googled your Lat/Long, Nice looking grass strip with a flight school?

Rooikat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm 

Hi Scott, I think this is advice i'll follow. The Slings are built not too far from where I stay - Tedderfield airfield. Think i should make a turn there.

Regards
Ruben