Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:50 am 

Well I FINALLY dropped into the mail the check to "Cubes" for the S-18 plans today!

The weather has finally for sure "broken" here in WI. So now projects and working in the unheated hangar can begin in earnest. (Along with all the honey do lists! :-\ )

The journey continues!

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:00 pm 

Ifyou will get the ribs and formers for the fuse from Cubes your build will progress very fast, he also has all of the skin layer out for drilling and the forming is about 95 percent complete also, this all builds an airframe quickly and accurately. Talk to him about it, and have fun on your build!!!! Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 pm 

I agree with Dan...this time ! Unless you have an enormous amount of spare time to make rib and bulkhead forms and then pound out the metal , then I suggest you get with Cubes and make your experience a lot more productive by buying some components from him . 8) Also I am not an engineer so reading some of the parts of the plans turned out to be a real learning experience . This is where if you have access to a builder in your area that has already jumped thru these circus hoops it really helps when you get in a pickle brine . ??? Also having an actual AC to look at helps make sense when studying/building from the plans . There is also a Butt Load (can I say butt ) of corporate knowledge on the Forum and I guarantee we have all been down one of the roads you are about to take , so don't hesitate to speak up and ask questions ! ;) 27 year builder . ::)

RB O0
NX115RX

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:40 pm 

I am not sure where the nearest Thorp is from me. I live just outside Madison, WI

Does anyone know, are the wing skins in the S-18 kit pre-pilot hole drilled?

I will see what happens with the main ribs. But I think I have decided I will most likely buy all new nose ribs. The existing wings I have do have a wet wing, And I suspect with all the fuel sealant they may be a bugger to get out without damage. So for the incremental costs, it may be easiest to just buy all new outer panel nose ribs.

If the new S-18 wing skins come already bent leading edge and with pilot holes. That may be the tipping point to simply buy all new ribs.

Once I get the plans, I will be able to ask more intelligent questions.

I am a Civil Engineer, so I think I'll be able to figure out the plans. But maybe I'm just naively cocky? Time will tell!

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:22 pm 

They are not Drilled, but, all the rivet locations are marked, and the nose of the wing skin is formed, it may not sound like it but this will save you some head scratching......Dan

flyingfool
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:38 am 

Bent and marked saves many hours and nearly eliminates the chance for error. That alone is worth the price I think!

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:32 pm 

Got the plans yesterday.

Wow there are a lot of drawings on various sized paper!

What is the best method to co-late them and protect them from damage? Can I legally make a copy for personal use in the shop so that the original can remain protected and the copy get beat up? Obviously it is illegal to reproduce and sell anything and I'd never do that!

Where to start and how to organize?

Since I have wings to re-build, I'd want to start there!

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm 
I organized them in batches 100 series, 200,300 etc. in file folders. I copied or parts of drawings of high use to protect the original

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 pm 

I organized them by assembly and put them in an accordion file . Rudder drawings , Vert. stab drawings , ailerons , flaps, etc. If you look at the bottom of the drawings it will usually tell you what the next step is by referring you to that drawing number . Like Bill said the heavy use stuff I went to KINKOS (I think it is FEDEX something now ?) and made copies . For the smaller parts drawings that are full size (like the canopy latch) I made copies of those also and used them as templates during construction . The copies were for personal use only . Some drawings you may not even use like the spinner drawing as you can buy a ready made spinner from Lee Walton and I think Cubes has them also . If you want to build the entire airplane yourself from scratch you now have the drawings to do it and the cooperate knowledge from the Forum for needed help . If you want to speed up the process I encourage you to support our T-18 vendors and buy needed parts from them . ;)

RB O0

NX115RX

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:18 pm 

The Master Drawing List that was included is color coded by build item. I would put them in that order.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:01 pm 

Sounds like Cubes Master List is the way to go . I had a master list, but no coding when I bought WAY back when .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 pm 

Maybe this will help someone.

Attachments:
S-18 Drawing Lists.xls [122 KiB]
Downloaded 612 times

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson
 Profile Personal album  

harp45
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 am 

That's a good resource, Jeff!

Jeff J
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm 

Thanks, I have to give some credit to Cubes for color coding the master drawing list. That made it easy for me to make the separate lists.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album