Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm 

Yep, I'm still debating about the height.

My current workbench is 36 inches. But it is only 2 feet wide so not much stretching. At 4 feet wide I'm thinking that 36" may be too tall. I'm only 5'-7" with a 29" inseam. So at this point I'm thinking of 34" may be about table top height. I can always stack something under the legs or prop up above the table if I need it higher. But it is hard to make something shorter!

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:08 pm 

Well I should be complete with my table tomorrow. (I can't work on it tonight due to other committments)

I decided to have my 4x8 table about 1-1/2 inches lower than my existing work bench. I did this for two reasons. One is that at 4' wide I felt that things would be a bit too tall for me if I kept it at the full 36" plus the 3/4 thick plywood top. Second is that when I'm done with the plane project, I can simply remove all four castor whels and add any standard 1-1/2 inch lumber in thickness, which will result in the final bench to be exactly the same height as the remainder of my work benches. So that I can place them side by side and be the same height.

The true test will be after I move the wing panels from their current location and onto the new table and start to drill out revets to re-skin the wing. If it is still too tall. Well I can always unscrew things and shorten the legs up.

Tomorrow is scheduled to be 93 degrees and humid! Probably not going to gain much sympathy from the folks in AZ or FL, but for us up north in Wisconsin, it is stifling! especially since we have had a very cool well below normal spring temps. So we have not acclimated to hot temps at all!

Oh well. I can't change the weather so I'll just have to contend with it!

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:32 am 
I have two 8 foot 1/2" thick aluminum I beams that I clamp to the table of the work bench. I put a spacer under each beam to elevate above the table top. leaving enough space for a strap type clamp. Level the I beams and space them evenly apart. Position the wing as to align the front spar with the I beam, clamp and hold in place. This will keep the wing true and straight when assembling and riveting.