Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Bill Williams
 Post subject: Thorp T18
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:11 am 
There is a Thorp listed on by Wentworth Salvage , Ebay 381368464086 for anyone interested

BobMoe
 Post subject: Re: Thorp T18
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:48 pm 

Google.......aig n444dd

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:03 pm 

" It's just like a box of chocolates ! "

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 am 

apparently it didn't meet the reserve price, its up for auction again.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:10 pm 

It's still a box of chocolates ! Reserve price ? Probably a couple hundred dollars less than the full asking price . You want radios ? We have the ones we took out for a few thousand more . BING , BANG , BOOM ! :)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:38 pm 

So do you guys know something about this T18 N444DD?

Dave

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Norman Kerr's old airplane .. looks like the gear is bent and it's been stripped of anything Wentworth can sell separately. at 5500 not s good deal.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:06 pm 

Yes that is what they do to make their money. I was just wondering if anyone knew the history of the aircraft, it seems to have almost 2000 hours on it so it must have flown pretty well.

Dave

pacer18a
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:43 pm 

I am the new owner of N444DD a T18CW according to the data plate. According to the previous owner this T18 was damaged in a botched landing attempt by a CFI new to the T18. The CFI stalled the aircraft a bit too high above the runway resulting in bent landing gear and prop. The insurance carrier totalled it and Wenworth ended up with it. Wentworth removed and sold off the engine, prop and radios. I ended up with the airframe which looks pretty good to me with the exception of the bent gear. I plan to attempt straightening the gear which seems possible according to what I have read on this site. If that works out I will begin to look for an engine. The engine that was removed was a 160hp dynafocal mount Lycoming with controlable pitch prop. The question I have has to do with dynafocal versus conical mount, basically if I could find a conical engine mount that one of you might have as an extra would it bolt right up to my gear assuming what I have has been built to the plans? If it would what kind of luck would I have in finding one to buy? Another question I have has to do with the stabilator mast assembly 510. When I took possession of the airframe it was already dissassembled for transportation and there was no 510 mast included in the parts I received. I questioned Wentworth and they questioned the folks who dissassembled it who said they did not remember a part like that. I asked the previous owner about it he didn’t think it had the 510 mast, he had the stabilator out when he repainted the airframe. So is it normal for the 510 mast to be omitted? Is it safe to operate the aircraft without this mast installed? This T18 has 1900 hours on it with 500 of those by the previous owner.

Needless to say this site has been invaluable in helping me understand how the T18 is constructed and what to look out for. I appreciate the info you have provided in the past and am looking forward to learning more from you as I try to get N444DD back in the air.

Dave

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:30 am 

Dave, congrats on your new purchase. I didn't build my T-18, but I think the mast assembly isn't something that is optional. I'm sure some guys with lots more T18 knowledge than me will chime in.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:55 am 
If this plane did not have the 510, I would have loved to see it fly without it. The 510 is the stabilizer counter balance weight assembly. It probably was lost when they took it apart as the horizontal stabilizer will not come off without removing it. It's not a complicated part to make. Suggest you buy a set of plans and look and compare and see what else might be missing. Good luck on your T18.

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:58 am 

pacer18a wrote:
...The question I have has to do with dynafocal versus conical mount, basically if I could find a conical engine mount that one of you might have as an extra would it bolt right up to my gear assuming what I have has been built to the plans? ...
Dave

Dave,
Either type mount should mate with the gear, if built to plans.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:23 pm 

Dave,
Congrats on your purchase. As John said, either mount will bolt properly to the gear. I have both for sale and in stock.
The mast you mentioned is designed to delay onset of some undesirable flight characteristics. I highly recommend you do not fly without it. As Bill said, it will have to be removed to pull the horizontal. I have those parts available as well.
Unfortunately, I do not sell T18 plans, just S18. Richard Eklund has the T18 plans available. I spoke with him about that last week. Just google Eklund Engineering. I highly recommend you purchase a set of plans from him.
Cubes
Thorp Central

Profile Personal album  

pacer18a
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:19 am 

Ryan, Bill, John and Cubes thank you for your input. I do have a set of plans that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago after I began looking at T18's and this forum. When I acquired N444DD I contacted the previous owner Graham Kerr. He has been very helpful and gracious, he sent me the paper work , files and plans which he had remaining from N444DD. He also believes that he had been flying without the benefit of the 510 mast. My intent is do as you say, go through this airframe with a fine tooth comb comparing it to the plans and to what I see on this forum and make whatever changes need to be made to make it safe and as intended by Mr. Thorp.

My plan is to start with the bent gear and determine if I can make them acceptable for reuse. We will inspect them for cracks and stress markings and if none found we will proceed with finding a hydraulic press to use to cold straighten them.

Bill and others who had successfully done the same with bent gear please chime in with any pointers which may help me be successful in this first step.

Once I have the gear figured out I will start looking for the engine and at that time will have to make the motor mount choice.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Dave

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:06 am 
I found that a hydraulic press will not allow you to position the gear to straighten. I use a 1/2" thick 4" five feet long I beam with two chains and a 50 ton jack(a smaller jack probably will work as my jack is a 50 ton. Find the center of the bend and place the jack here, using two chains around the beam and gear, begin to straighten the bend. Like a bow and arrow. The trick is too over bend it just enough for the flex back to be straight.