Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

pacer18a
 Post subject: Re: Thorp T18
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm 

Bill you wouldn't have a picture or two of this set up as you were straightening one that you could email or post would you? I am working toward getting the gear off the airframe, hopefully will have that done in the next couple of weeks. Winter has finally arrived here in St.Louis, working in my normally unheated garage is a challenge from time to time.

On another topic , the conical mount, you had a post about 4 years ago where you said something like "the only reason for the aluminum horse shoe was to mate up to the gpu which was not machined for the conical mount and that a fabricating a normal conical mount (without the horse shoe) was an option". Just wondering if you know of anyone who has done that? Once I get past the gear issue I will start the hunt for an engine, I currently have a good dynafocal mount but didn't want to be limited to only looking for dynafocal case engines.

Thank you for the info you have already provided, I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Dave

pacer18a
 Post subject: Re: Thorp T18
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm 

I finally got around to removing the landing gear from N444DD, and I am still recovering from all the contortions I had to put my chubby mature body into to remove the nuts on the bottom two bolts from inside the cockpit. From the picture you can see that the landing incident did a number on the gear. Both legs are bent back a little more than 3 inches and bent out almost 3 inches. So far the only cracks I have found is the normal weld crack on the bottom weld of the mounting plate to the outside gear leg tube. The gear measure just about 57 inches long where the drawings call for 53.8 inches so I guess these are the long gear. I haven't measured how far out of alignment the axles or axle pads are but I know they are toed out considerably.

Those of you who have had experience with bent gear and the repair of same I would appreciate any shared knowledge and experiences you might have that would help send me down the right path to fix these gear. Here are my questions so far; with the amount these are bent are they repairable by cold bending without re-heat treating? since these are bent out and back and the axle pads are toed out do I try to bend them along the axis which they are bent or do I bend them to first get them straight in the in and out direction and then bend them to get them straight in the front to back direction? with the axle pads being toed out it would seem that these gear legs are twisted a bit is that a normal issue with these bent gear and is that something that will clear up once I get the legs straight?

I haven't found any real damage to the firewall (or anywhere else other than the gear) from this incident any thoughts on where I should be looking? The propeller was damaged in the incident and it and the engine were long gone by the time I acquired N444DD. The dynafocal engine mount does look undamaged.

Sorry for all the questions, your help is greatly appreciated.

Dave