Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
 Post subject: S-18 kits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 pm 

I see the S-18 plans and series of kits.

The kits list off many individual parts etc. Are these kits available currently or by order and then wait?

Maybe a more immportant question is: Are these parts already bent/pre punched etc. and basically ready to assemble, or is the kit simply a collection of appropriate sized raw materials that all bending/forming drilling etc still need to be completed?

I understand this is undergoing a transition at the moment but I'd like to have an idea of what those "kits" are. As I didn't see a picture or anything that shows the parts laid out etc.

I have to be realalistic. And the time savings and the cost of not having to buy specialty tools etc would seem to be worth going the series of kits for most all of it. It takes a great deal of time I wouls suspect to search out the various materials, order and pay shipping from all the various vendors and then have to hand form and make many more jigs etc when doing it by total plans only verses the pre-made kit materials.

Although I would suspect that I would somehow mess up a few parts and have to either make from scratch or re-order the particular kit component.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: S-18 kits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:30 pm 

The kit is complete, but it is not an RV. What I mean by that, is that many parts are completely finished and ready to install, but some parts require work on your part. For example, the side skins are cut to size and you will find markings on them for drilling to fit formers etc. Other parts, 577, 527 etc are finished and ready. Depends on the part.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm 

And yes, I am OEM for some manufacturers, but not others. Overall, unless you are a great scrounger, the kit will be cheaper.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm 

Not to mention it will save you a hell of a lot of time putting the Sky Machine together ! ;)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm 

I used some off these parts on my bird, they are good parts, they save a ton of time. Time saved on the build translates into flying time sooner. The fastest time for a build I have seen is 19months, the parts were already made, it is a t18 and it's on the field in the same lair as my Tiger. Not everyone builds at the same rate this must be understood as some folks just TAKE more of each day to use on their project, and some just can't do that. You have probably stumbled into one of the most knowledgeable group of builders, we have VETERANS!!!!! Of the homebuilt world, there knowledge and experience is second to none. Whichever way you choose to build, the rewards are well worth the time it takes to build this fine machine, I stepped out of a Skyhawk right into my Thorp and that was 6 years ago, I still have that Tiger grin when it fires up........Welcome aboard by the way!!!! Dan

flyingfool
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 pm 

Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. A lot of learning to do. I'm going back and trying to print off and read all the newsletters. Much of it is very old and I think has been superceded and obviously was for the straight original standard wing and fuselage T18.

Cubes (being new here what's the story with your nickname of Cubes???),

Anyhow,
I see the plans and kits and a listing along with the prices and various item descriptions.

I noticed that neither the outer or inner wing panels have a price associated or totalled. Is this because it simply was not added up or is there a "page two" of listing of items that was not complete.

Also is all the nuts and bolts etc and other miscelaneous hardware in the kits? Or are the kits really just the primary main materials and aluminum skins and extrusions etc and all bent up etc and all the hardware like rivets, nuts and bolts, washers etc are all separate to be purchased by the builder?

If the hardware is generally separately purchased by the builder, is there a listing in the plans lising the sizes and numbers of the various AN hardware etc and how many are needed so that a single or a few mass orderings of hardware from Aircraft spruce or other vendor can be made, rather than just helter skelter page by page trying to figure out what bolts and other hardware are needed to be ordered.

Bottom line is that if I do this thing. i want to be able to get a kit and dig in and have reasonable assurance that I will have the necessary hardware etc to actually build it. I don't want to get all excited, open the boxes and start only to find out that I'm three bolts and 8 washers short of being able to complete the item.

I hope I made myself clear with what I'm trying to clarify in my mind.

it sure would be nice at some point in the future to have a picture of each kit laid out on the floor like I've seen from the RV's and Zenith and even the old Christen eagle ads. A picture is worth at least 500 words in this case. Just a suggestion as you bring your new business on line.

Are the plans available immediately? I assume with this being a new transition that there may be some delay yet in many if not all of the subkit availability. Maybe getting the plans is my first and best place to start. Sorry for rambling. - Tom

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:48 pm 

Tom,
Lots of questions. RBs point in another thread is a good one. Go to a sport air workshop and learn what it takes to work with metal. I started that way as well. They do a great job explaining things and letting you use their tools etc. And/or it would be great if you have someone nearby who can show you the ropes. Where do you live?
As far as the website....minor oversight between me and my website programmer.
Kits...you will notice that the prices of parts does not add up to the kit price. As it says on the bottom, the kit price includes ALL hardware to complete the part. You can easily order the plans and and aileron, for example. That way you won't be into it too much financially.
I'm still building this business. The website will have "specials", and starter kits shortly. The plans are available, as are some, but not all parts at this time.
Cubes

Profile Personal album