Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

efhadley
 Post subject: Upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am 

I am in the inspection process on my Thorp project. The plane was built to plans. It has the origional style pitot tube mounted on the tail. Looks like most thorps have been changed over to more conventional pitot tube. Is there a newletter that addresses this or does someone have any recommendations on its relocation???

The trim system is also to plans and uses 1/4" flexible shaft (vague description in prints and looks like stainless braided fuel hose). This is a simple system and appears to work with ease. If it has proven to be reliable, I will just replace the flex hose. I am also open to suggestions on upgrades and improvements, althought I do prefer simpler mechanical systems to electric.

The horizontal tail and vertial stab is off. Is there a procedure for balancing the horizontal tail??? I would think that if hung by it's pivot point, it would remain in the nuetral postion or close to it.

Appreciate any feedback, your support has already been helpful.

thanks, Everett

fytrplt
 Post subject: Re: Upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:07 pm 

I used a blade type pitot as seen on the Piper Cherokee. It is mounted out on the wing just aft of the spar. I measured a Cherokee and used proportional spacing on the Thorp (S-18 wing). I have also used an "L" shaped pitot on the gap cover of the standard wing.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: Upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 pm 

I used a Vans' "L" shaped aluminum pitot tube and added some streamline RC aluminum strut tubing over the tube to dress it up a bit. Weighs almost nothing. ;) You could by the tube and bend it yourself, but it would need a mounting bracket. I paid the $20.00 for the tube and the mounting bracket and about $5.00 for the streamline tubing. It is mounted just foward of the main spar on my S-18 about 18" inboard of the wing tip. I added an access panel to the outboard rib to access the pitot tube AND the LED landig lite should they require maint.

RB
NX115RX

Attachments:
Klebler tip.jpg
Klebler tip.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 3822 times ]
 Profile Personal album