Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 pm 

I called Hartzell today about a constant speed prop and governor. The blades and hub was $14,000. I was floored when she told me the governor was $7,000......I have to have misunderstood her. I am happy with my wood prop, but I guess I'll always be doing something with my plane. Guess I should keep my eyes out for a used prop. I did see a correct hub on ebay, but it had the incorrect blades called out for a Thorp.

Are there other constant speed props (blades and/or hubs) that folks are using?

Harztell calls out the following for the 0-360 powered Thorp: HC-F2YR-1F and blades are F7666A-4

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm 

Hi Ryan, Cubes will jump in to tell you that he has 'Dealer Status' with Hartzell. See what number he can come up with.

For What it's worth - I'm going CS on N218TH. I have an IO-320 and a Hartzell hub with GT carbon fiber blades. I'll let you know how it performs when it flies! The big advantage I have with this combo is that with the GT blades, the prop is 22 lbs lighter than the Standard Hartzell. I plan to not to have to add any weight in the tail. Lighter is Better!

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

Very happy with my PCU 5000X. $1600 list.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:25 pm 

We do have OEM dealership status with Hartzell. Good people. Took more than six months and a trip to KOSH to make happen.
Basically, you tell me what you want, I'll get the price (if non standard) and the prop is shipped direct to you from them.
As far as price, it depends on what you want. But just look on the Vans site AND TAKE $100 OFF what they sell them for.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm 

Can anyone educate me as to why the Vans Aircraft with an 0-360 call for a C2YR-1BFP hub with F74972 blades when the Thorp with an 0-360 call out a HC-F2YR-1F hub with F7666A-4 blades? The Vans and Thorp just seem very similar in a lot of respects.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 am 
The RV series do not require a prop hub extension whereas the Thorp does. Van recommends the new "blended airfoil prop where Thorp still uses the old style prop.
I have the F766A-4 on my Thorp, Bob installed the new F7492 blades. I believe both are good props and are about the same in performance. Bob can comment on this as he did a test using both props using Hartzells test data sheets

fytrplt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm 

As Bill says, the blunt nosed RV series doesn't call for a prop extension while the shark nosed T-18 benefits from it. My original Prop was an HC-F2YR-1F/F7666A-4. I replaced it with an HC-2YR-1FPX/F7497-2X. I gained about 3-4 kts across the board with the new prop, however, the time to climb suffered by 22 secs. to 10,00 feet. Both props are 72" in diameter, but the new prop is heavier due to later model hub and beefier blades. The major plus for the new prop is it has no RPM areas of avoidance in the normal power ranges

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:10 pm 

Hartzell will work with us. Don't be afraid of asking questions of them. If you want me to ask, I will. We can use other blades. We just need them to tell us which are safe to use. Like Bob said, some may come with restricted RPM ranges such as our O360 call out, but the new ones most likely will not.
Cubes

Profile Personal album