Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Lou
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:59 pm 

jrevens wrote:
Lou wrote:
B&C makes a 90 degree filter adaptor that fits... With their adaptor's adaptor.

part#BC700-H and FK502-1.4

On in an hour, works fine, last long time

Those are very nice... I accused them of copying my design one year at Oshkosh (jokingly - sort-of). The concept is similar, but the design is improved, lighter, & more elegantly done. Not sure how well they would fit my particular set-up, but that's the way I would go nowadays. I had less "disposable income" back then, and it was just kinda' cool to be able to design & make something that nobody else had at the time. It was over 20 years ago! 8)

NO, YOU... Are the man.

And ya, the 400 dollar oil change sucked the high hard one

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:39 am 

jrevens wrote:
This is what I designed and made for my T-18 from a hunk of aluminum quite a few years ago when engine-mounted spin-on filter adapters were not available that would fit the T-18 without hitting the landing gear assembly (and the vertically mounted filter was also unique at that time). It's worked very well for over 20 years.

Attachment:
DSC00600.png

Is there any way to get the plans from you or would you be willing to make one (for some cash) for myself? I just put a deposit down on a t-18 and the first thing I'm going to do is add an oil filter to the engine.

Thanks!

Jeff

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am 

I would consider putting a remote oil filter on . ??? Plenty of info about the subject on this forum .

RB O0
BaBaLoo

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:27 am 

Rich Brazell wrote:
I would consider putting a remote oil filter on . ??? Plenty of info about the subject on this forum .

RB O0
BaBaLoo

Remote verses a solid mount to the engine? The solid mount seems easier with less clutter although $400+ for a remote kit seems a little on the high side from these manufacturers.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm 

I copied Rich's remote oil filter setup and its one of the best things I've done to my plane. And, if I recall correctly, it was only around $150-$200 for the components. Makes oil changes a breeze.

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:26 pm 

Ryan Allen wrote:
I copied Rich's remote oil filter setup and its one of the best things I've done to my plane. And, if I recall correctly, it was only around $150-$200 for the components. Makes oil changes a breeze.

That's what I would like to do. Is Rich's a full remote on the firewall or on the engine? I would prefer on the engine for more simple install but I would need the info to give to my machinist friend as I'm not skilled nor have access to a CNC.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:30 pm 

It's a firewall setup. It's so much easier than trying to get that filter off the accessory case without making a mess. Search the archives and you'll find photos of Rich's setup. No CNC required if you use the remote setup. You buy a few parts from Jegs/Summitt Racing and your done.

Profile Personal album  

Binder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 pm 

Ryan Allen wrote:
It's a firewall setup. It's so much easier than trying to get that filter off the accessory case without making a mess. Search the archives and you'll find photos of Rich's setup. No CNC required if you use the remote setup. You buy a few parts from Jegs/Summitt Racing and your done.

Oh excellent. I'll look for that setup. It's probably the same stuff I have on my drag car with a remote setup. Even with the upside down mess I like the simplicity but if I don't have to worry about machining and things I'll try the other route. I appreciate the heads up!

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 pm 

Thanks Ryan . I teach young grasshopper well ! ::) I used Canton Racing products for the engine adapter and remote filter housing . You can buy direct or if you do a little research you can get them for less + free shipping + in most cases no tax from other racing sites . Made my own hoses (fitted with fire sleeve) and AN fittings . Probably saved at least 1/2 on the hoses ?
Not to take away from those lucky guys that can machine magic from a block of aluminum I have found that in my Golden Years it is much easier to let some other young buck let the chips fly ! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:17 pm 

A remote mounted filter can be mounted to be in a very accessible location... a big plus. The negatives are more hoses & connections, plus an adapter of some source is still required on the accessory housing for the oil line connections and vernatherm (a better, more accurate way to control oil bypass/temperature than the old "viscosity valve" set up). The hoses do take up some room in that area also. Depending on how much other stuff you have back there - like a prop governor, for instance - the engine-mounted filter like I made is very accessible and viable. The reason I designed mine to be vertical with the open end up was to make for clean, non-messy oil filter changes. I have a pretty open/clean area back there - not a lot of crap, so it's a very nice deal for me. It encompasses both a vernatherm & oil temperature probe. You're right Rich, it is a lot of work to build, but it's just like so many things on our airplanes... guys do what they can & want to to make theirs unique and special for them. One of my friends calls my current project (Kitfox SS7) the "John Fox" because of all the little detail changes. I would recommend one of the remote set-ups too, especially if you don't have the machining ability to do something different. It does take a milling machine & a pretty good hunk of aluminum (I used 7075-T6, because that's what I could find in the right size at an aluminum salvage yard). I do have some crude drawings with basic dimensions, etc., but I really designed the thing as I was building it, and the drawings are not a plug & play deal. A couple of guys have gotten them from me over the years, and believe that Roy Farris built one (or had a friend build one for him). I have no time or desire to make them for sale. It's a lot of work and life is short.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:42 pm 

I was reminded by a friend, Jim Peran (J.P.), who's a T-18 builder and former owner, that he used a Ford adapter that bolted directly to the accessory case and had the ability to swivel the filter at various angles. He used the short filter. I'm pretty sure his comments & info on that are in the archives of this forum somewhere. FWIW.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:46 pm 

OK Scott,
Challenge accepted, just spent the morning in the shop, it's not flying weather here today, and here's the result.
Took a while to get all the pieces, software, hardware i.e. cnc router all setup, I'm still in the learning phase for this machining business.

Here's the result using pink insulation foam for a first "cut", the boss at the top is for an oil temp probe. The inlet/outlet holes are sized for 3/8" NPT pipe fitting, pipe thread taps are way cheaper (oops I forgot, cheap and aviation don't go together) than straight thread taps for o-ring fittings.

Here's the bottom, the mount holes all match to the oil screen gasket that I have, now just need to see if it fits on the motor.

The next step in this process is to experiment with feed and speeds with cutting on an aluminium block to see what my machine can handle.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:02 pm 

That looks real nice, Bruce! You software guys... once you get all of the brain work out of the way, it sure is a lot quicker than having to "turn the wheels" yourself! Thinking back when I was a young engineer just out of college, there was no CAD-CAM. A drafting table & a slide rule were the tools of the trade. I've got to admit that it's very impressive, but I sure do get a lot of satisfaction out of actually carving the metal myself! ^-^

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm 

Can you do fillings what that gizmo ? Maybe a crown ? :P

RB O0
BaBaLoo

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 pm 

For you Rich, I think your mouth is probably big enough to get the cutter in. ;D , crowns just need a fine point engraving bit. O0

BADA BING, BADA BOOM

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next