Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 pm 

Attachment:
Plug check  #2.jpg
Plug check #2.jpg [ 629.38 KiB | Viewed 2998 times ]
Attachment:
Plug check.jpg
Plug check.jpg [ 764.16 KiB | Viewed 2998 times ]
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water here is my spark plug resistance tester (Sorta copied from you tube) .

1. Small piece of 3/4" MDF .
2. Short piece of 1/4" OD copper tube .
3. Short section of rubber or vinyl tubing to act as insulator for the copper tube .
4. Small piece of metal (steel or aluminum) to mount the Ohm Meter on .
5. Small piece of heavy duty Velcro to mount the Ohm meter to the metal support .
6. Small Ohm meter . Got this one from Amazon about $10.00 . I compared the readings from this small unit and a much more expensive Ohm meter I currently have (about the size of a small toaster) and they were just about equal in resistance readings.
7. 1/4" ring terminal to fit over the copper tube .

Mount the metal support to the MDF anyway you care to . Attach the Ohm meter to the mount with the Velcro . Insert the copper tube into the end of the plug and then cut it about 3/4" longer . Take the ring terminal and slip it over the copper tube , leaving about 1/2" at the bottom of the copper tube . Solder the ring terminal to the copper tube . Drill a 1/4" hole in the MDF and glue the copper tube into the hole . Take one of the Ohm leads (I took the black one) and cut it to length to reach the ring terminal and solder the wire in place . Fit the rubber or vinyl tubing over the copper tube , leaving about 1/4" copper tube at the top . Place the spark plug onto the "tester" and then shorten the other Ohm lead so as to comfortably reach the center electrode of the plug . Turn on the Ohm meter . If you followed the directions correctly you should have a read out on the Ohm meter . If not throw the whole thing away and start over ! BOOM ! :P

RB O0

Profile Personal album