Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: Oil Filter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 am 

I just tapped into the line going to oil cooler. John is right that it only filters when the vernithem allows it to. But that's more the Mr. Lyc designed into it. It's a $35 part from Summit. At least it was back then. Then you can mount the filter any place you want.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

james peran
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:22 am 

i got a FORD adopter for the oil filter. Its right angle can be swivelled to any position . than locked to place .Its the last one i got . H
Attachment:
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 010.jpg [ 429.41 KiB | Viewed 10430 times ]
ad 11 i bought them when i was building . trouble free. can be used with the long or the short filter . J.P.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Just to clarify, the Summit and Ford solutions still require the standard Lycoming oil filter adapter on the motor in lew of the screen housing. The auto solutions are simply extending an existing filter mount and making it remote.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm 

Well, not really. I left my screen in place to catch large chunks and still provide oil flow. I just tapped into the line going to the cooler. My oil flow goes thru the screen, then the filter, then the oil cooler, then back to the engine.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Cubes, the ford and summit (auto) solutions attach to a spin on receptacle. If you tapped the line going to the cooler you're not filtering the oil when cold.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

james peran
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm 

Lee you are correct .The standard oil filter adopter i picked up from an engine supplier.. As i recollect it was $25 .Used.
I still have 1 ford adopter for sale . As you can see on the picture it fits very nicely. J.P.

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 pm 

That is correct. As was said previously, I screen the oil at all times and add the filter when the vernitherm opens.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

denndowning
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 pm 

Cubes,

Even when the oil is cold and the Veratherm is closed, it still allows some oil to flow through the oil cooler. That's why some folks still have to tape over some of the oil cooler in the winter to keep the oil from being too cold. Even with not all of the oil being continuously filtered with your set-up, does the oil appear to be as clean and well filtered as is the case with folks with the "stock" oil filter set-ups that filter all of the oil continuously? Also, are you able to go 50 hours between oil changes like the folks do with the stock set-ups?

Dennis

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:14 am 

The answer is no. I change my oil at 25 hours simply because I do not like the look of the oil. It turns black before 25 hours. I'm guessing that is more of a function of my old, tired engine than the filter set up. That's just a guess.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:51 pm 

I guess I am fortunate, I have no filter , other than the sump and pump screens. I too always change at 25 hrs, I could probably go to 30 or 40 hrs as the oil does have some tint at 25 hrs but it never makes it to black. The ole Lycasaurus is comming up on 2400 hrs, it's never been touched, cases never been split, it has the original top end. I had the oil analysis done last change, it came back normal wear. The old devil was designed without a filter, if I had put a filter on it early on I would have been carrying the weight, and buying filters for the past five years so I could see this tinted oil run out of it when it came time to change it. I am positive that their are advantages to have this filter that gets Black with the oil, Or maybe it is supposed to filter out the Carbon that turns the oil black in the first place? I would certainly not say that a filter is not nessesary, but I cannot say that it is either. Seems it would be another one of those preference Items? I always wondered Why Lycoming would not use a real good filter on all of these power plants that can literally cause the loss of life, I guess I will probe the engine log from my 1968 320 with 2400 hrs and see if I can find some reasoning for their logic for not filtering the oil a little better.......Dan

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:36 pm 

Ran my first engine to 2100 Hrs. Oil consumption and figured I would need a new one some day, why not now were the cause of the swap. No filter on the original motor, but I did have to top it at 750 hrs. That engine had sat several years while I finished the plane. New engine has remote filter. No filter derived issues with it ether. I went 25 hours between changes with the first one and 50 with the second. BTW, Lyc says 50 and 100 hrs. Go figure. Just how much of a mess you want to put up with and how often you want to change oil, seem to be the main argument. Acid buildup in the oil is the real culprit, anyway.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 pm 

Goood point Bob, My old beast sat under a plastic table cloth for ten years before I fired it up, Guess I will just keep on popping the plug at 25 hrs and pouring in 7 fresh ones until it shows me its hurtin...Dan