Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

James Grahn
 Post subject: Formation training
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 am 

Is Brian Cabebe on this list? If so, sing out. Guys, (un)fortunately I am on the Raven wing website of the RV formation group. There has been quite the chat lately about T18s participating in formation training with RVS. The bottom line is two things. First, those of us with FFI cards need to log 4 four ships a year to keep the card. So we need to practice. And 2, the RVs do not want us around. I know a lot of RV guys. They have some (small) valid concerns.
If you are interested in formation flying in a T18, we need to hook up with other T18s. We can hold clinics and get guys moving in that direction.
Sing out if interested.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

chuck
 Post subject: Re: Formation training
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 am 

I'm up for more formation training, but being in New England it's a bit Thorp deprived. Hopefully Theirry can finish his soon and give me some company.
My wife and I are headed down to Florida for two weeks to include SnF, maybe a rendezvous at my place 03FA (or elsewhere in Fla.) for some practice and cookout?

KIWI

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am 

You know I'm in - as I see it though, the biggest issue we face as T-18 formation wannabees is having someone who can sign us off for the FFI card.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am 

I am good friends with a check pilot. He has assured me that he will not hang us out to dry. But we will not be invited to their clinics. That's why we need to practice on our own.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Just out of curiosity ... what are their concerns?

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

bcabebe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 pm 

Hi Cubes,

Yes, I'm on this list.

I've been in contact with some AZ RV'ers that are doing formation. So, far they've been welcoming to me. I don't think they're very organized though, it's a small group.

I'd like to participate more, but as a rookie it seems like I need at least two other pilots to work with me to get to 2-ship solo, and I can understand how that can be a burden on their flying time.

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 pm 

I’m in for it! ;D
I think we might have more than one Brian here thou??? :o I went flying with the Mojave crew a while back. Brian was there, he was my safety buddy. We had T’s, RV’s, A Yak and a Piper station wagon, everyone got along fine.

Lee I’m thinking the RV crew don’t like being shown up.

More formation would be good, I know I’m forgetting what I learned from two months ago.

Lou

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 pm 

While there are certainly some differences in performance between the various RV's & Thorps, especially with some of the 7s & 8s with big engines, & they just have different capabilities when pulling G's, etc. And there are many T-18s that will outperform many RVs in several areas, but I think that it's the same old problem that has always been there with some of those guys. I think they have a bunch of identical clones. They could certainly modify their flying to accommodate the participation of other different designs, and they might even become better pilots because of it, but some don't want to. Instead of trying to be part of a group showing the wonderful diversity of homebuilt aircraft, I think they must be proud to be the "Cessnas" of the homebuilt world. It's very difficult for the vast majority of them to really be unique from the thousands of other RVs. There are some legitimate issues, but it seems like many of those guys just need to feel superior & enjoy their little "clique". I don't fly formation - it's not my thing, but I respect & enjoy watching those who do. There - I said it. There's no disrespect meant, but this is how some of that very large group come across to quite a few pilots I've spoken to.
I'm proud to fly a more unique design that I truly built myself.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

James Grahn
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:06 pm 

Ok, well I'm not going to speculate. I hope it has to do with not wanting to overload newbies with different flight characteristics and sight pictures. Suffice it to say that we will not be at their clinics. That's ok, we can do our own.
Brian, first and foremost, you need to totally trust the guys you are flying with. We have two carded guys in Rosamond, Ca. One in Vegas, one in Salt Lake, and one in Denver. If you want to fly with us, just make yourself available. Everyone started somewhere so don't worry about lack of experience. We will be meeting several times this summer, I hope.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 am 

I think I might have insulted a bunch of RV pilots, & I really didn't mean to do that. My comments were based on personal experience, & not meant to bash the entire clan. Please feel free to delete this & my previous post if you'd like to Lee. I've got no problem with that.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE